Which model savage to buy in 300 win.

Tikka Lover

Official LRH SPONSOR
OK, you guys are the experts so help me out. I am going to buy a Savage in 300 Win. Mag. but not sure which model is better than the other or what the major differences are between them. I would like a medium weight barrel not light, I do hike a lot when hunting but I think the extra stiffness would be worth the weight. I will be shooting out to about 600 yards........ For now anyway.:)

Thanks in advance for the helpful suggestions.gun)

112 bvss

112 BVSS would be a good one if you can find one. If not call savage and they will build you what you want. They come with a healthy laminate stock and a fluted 26" stainless varmint barrel. It might be a little on the heavy side for what you want to do with it. I have one In 7rem mag and love it. It's not hard for me to carry but you have to work to hump it around. The differences in the savage models is just stock and magazine configuration for the most part.

Last edited:
There laminate stock is the best they have. They do make a few rifles with HS precision or McMillan stocks but not in the caliber you want. And, it would be cheaper to buy one with the tupperware stock and replace with a Bell & Carlson or HS precision.

Without turning it into a project. I would buy a 12 Varminter Low Profile in 300 WSM (they don't make it in 300 WM). You will be fine with the short mag out to 600. The gun cost about $750.

Other options would be to buy and restock. Or, call savage and ask how much to build you a 300 WM with a HS Precision or McMillan (I don't think they do not make the laminate for long action). This is not worth it in my opinion.

If you really want a 300 WM the wood stock versions are only about $550. I would definitely not use the Tupperware synthetic stock. It Sucks. Bell & Carlson has the DuraMaxx stock for savage long and shot actions it says its drop in, but it needs to be inletted.

I think they only make the 12 BVSS in varmint calibers now.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that the Lam. stocks is the best, at least until now. I read an article
in the new G&A about a new syn. stock. It looks plain like the tupperware versions on the outside, but it has a Alum. bedding block with a couple of innovations that sounded very promising. If they work stated they will be great. You may want to contact Sav. before
you spend your money.

Tikka I would go with an aftermarket compsite stock if you are looking at a heavy contour barrel to keep the weight down. Also you could buy a standard 116 weather warrior and see how it shoots. If it is a shooter great if it is not a shooter either Krieger or Sheilen make match grade screw on barrels at a very reasonable price. Considering no gunsmithing is required it is quite inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I failed to mention that the stock that comes with the gun doesn't matter, I like thumbhole stocks so that is what I will be putting on it. If I am understanding so far, the model doesn't matter all that much they all have the same barrel and actions? So should I just buy the cheapest model that has the medium weight barrel and chuck the tupperware stock?

Yes.

Savage -just like other makers- have the same barrels and actions -just different configurations as already stated.

The cheapest sporter blued barrel is no different than a fluted varmint barrel as far as the machining goes.

As stated a weather warrior + custom thumbhole stock would make a nice rifle.

I agree that the 116 and an aftermarket stock would make a nice rifle if you want a factory barrel. The BVSS is nice but heavier than what you want it sounds like and discontinued. I would look around for a cheap action (I've bought several complete rifles for $200 or less) and then put an aftermarket barrel on in whatever contour you want. You could do this for less than buying a new 116 and you are going to replace the stock anyway. Also, the Stevens 200 is the same as a Savage with no accutrigger and they only cost ~$300 and come in 300 WM.

Midway USA has savage actions by themselves. (Blued only no stainless) The have the long action for $445 (the dealer price is cheaper if you have an ffl) and the short action is on clearance for $322.

Other than that, If you have the stock then just buy the cheapest blued on cheapest Stainless depending on you preference and restock.

Good Luck.

I've got a 112 barrel in 300 win that I would sell. It is the 26" stainless fluted. It's a consistent half MOA shooter. These are great barrels I also have them in 220 Swift and 22-250.

I would get the stevens and go with the rifle basix trigger if it's not a shooter go with a kreiger barrel and still be well under 1k especially if you already have the stock... this is just my opinion

The Savage Varminter 12 Low Profile comes chambered in .300WSM. I think that rifle has the better grade of action with the large tenon but I'm not certain of that. I've had an opportunity to shoot two of them, one in .243, the other in .308. They were both shooting bugholes at 100 and just over a half inch at 200.

The bare rifle is advertised as 10 lbs. With scope etc. it should come in close to 11-1/2 lbs.

Fitch

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.