Which Model Savage???

bebberson

I want a new rifle for deer, pronghorn, and varmints. I think I want a savage chambered in a 25-06Rem, I figured this caliber would work good on these critters up to 500 yards or so. It seems to me Savage is a popular rifle to start with. So I am asking what model do you suggest I buy? Also what should I do to make it more accurate. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket stocks? Sorry for all the ????'s just looking for some guidance on my first rifle project.

thanks, Brian

I want a new rifle for deer, pronghorn, and varmints. I think I want a savage chambered in a 25-06Rem, I figured this caliber would work good on these critters up to 500 yards or so. It seems to me Savage is a popular rifle to start with. So I am asking what model do you suggest I buy? Also what should I do to make it more accurate. Where is the best place to buy aftermarket stocks? Sorry for all the ????'s just looking for some guidance on my first rifle project.

thanks, Brian

If you are going to swap the stock, you might want to price all the components separately and purchase a top end barrel to start with. I'd at least price the components individually at SharpShootersupply.com before I bought a rifle and started swapping parts.

As far as a complete rifle, as long as you get the accutrigger, you are good as a build platform, just get the finish, contour and barrel length you want to start with.

AJ

d0e29dfe.jpg

Savage sells the 12 Series Varmint with a laminated stock, their accutrigger, and a varmint weight barrel. Don't believe that it's avail in .25-06 though. Nice rifle for longish range hunting. Typically the Savage is a very accurate rifle, right out of the box.

I am a fan of the .25-06 for varmints & deer size game, but many other cartridges do the job quite nicely.

bebberson,
I guess it depends on you really. I lean toward the heavy barrel (HB) models. I have 6 rifles and they all are HB. Most folks use this type rifle for varmints and occasionally for deer if setting in box blinds/stands. They (HB rifles) may be too much for walking the prairies looking for speed goats. I just like'm.
The two Savages that came to mind are the 112BVSS and 110FP. I think both are available in .25-06. These are both HB and I own or have owned both models. I currently own a 112BVSS in .300 WinMag and it's a beast. It's the single shot model and the heaviest rifle I own. Boy does it shoot though. Right now it's shooting the 180gn NBT at 3100fps into .3" at 100yds. I've owned two of the 110FP's, one in 7mmRM and .223Rem, and both were shooters. The .223 produced groups in the .1-.3's.
I'd look at either getting the AccuTrigger model, or get the older version and replace the factory trigger with a Timney. Stocks are available from SharpShooterSupply.com but check around there are many resources available through the internet. Savage is fixin' to come out with a "AccuStock". It is synthetic with an aluminum bedding block molded in. I read about it in a shooting magazine. Good luck with your endeavors. JohnnyK.

You may be talking a little 'over my head' but I've been looking at similar models, the 10FP, 110FP and 12FV in .308 to use as is. Never been a fan of stain steel. I alrady have a 111 in .25-06 with wood stock. It is a solid performer out of the box, reloading of course. I've been able to get it down to ¾ " groups right off the bat shooting Sierra SBT's, it shoots good clusters at 100 but have not shot it further yet. The 25-06 is flat shooting and versatile, and is probly one of the least appreciated cal.
If you are looking to Savage, new, you should see how it shoots without modifications first . Of course the plastic stocks arent great, and I'd look into HS precision or Bell & Carlson . Weatherby Vanguards / SubMOAs are nice as well. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Bebber if you have a little time you may want to consider looking for one with the new Accustock which includes solid full length bedding and looks like a definate upgrade over the current stock. Photos of the Accustock are approx 2/3 of the way down the page.

Savage firearms - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

This is only suppose to only add $30.00 to the cost of the rifle. You could buy this which will include the accutrigger see how it shoots. If you are not happy with it, you can buy a Shilen Match grade drop in barrel for $250.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts