Which laser range finder

davyd

I am reluctantly thinking of getting a laser range finder for varminting.

Typical use is rabbits and foxes so far to 450 yards in o0pen fields in daylight or twilight, no fog or snow. Out to 200 with the .223 everthing is fine but beyond 250-300 yrads there it starts to get more intieresting particularly when there is a lack of reference points.

Ideally I'd like a range finder than can read off a rabbit out ot say 600 yards - I suspect that is pure fantasy land.

I also want to walk light - so prefer compact models

I am hoping to get somthing $Us 400 or less.

The bushnell seemed good but seem to have some quality problems with black spots. The swaroskis and leicas good but heavy and expensive - the nikon Monarch sounds like a good option so far for USD$300

Note the search engine could not find much on this topic which I find strang as most users here would be using range finders I assume

Cheers from the very far south (Australia)

davyd,
I don't believe that any of the conventional hand held range finders will read off of a rabbit at 600 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif(It's a fantasy now, but not for long!); but many of them would be able to read off of a tree or bush near by.
Do a search for range finders on this site and you'll be getting some good info.
Here is one!
Good Hunting!

Davyd,
Scroll down about 3 pages , youll see a post about the new bushnell 1500. It would appear a good value from what i can gather, very near the leica 1200 in performance but a couple hundred less???

Davyd,

I will put in a word for the bushnell 1500 elite. I have ranged cottontails to 250 or so, but not 600. got a hit on 2 prairie dogs standing side by side at 313 yesterday and have ranged medium sized brush out to about 1350 yards. My view does have one black spot left of the targeting circle, but I have learned to ignore it. It is usually only visible on bright days

For consistent ranging at extended ranges, the Leica family it tops. Contact IanM on this board. He has been playing with the new Elite 1500 and results are very promising. For what it is, dirt cheap.

I own the first Gen Leica 800. Very happy with it.

Jerry

I have a bushnell 1500 and I am very impressed, easily ranges to boulders, and trees at 1000 even in bright sunlight. I can't believe these things are only $329 at theOpticzone.com.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.