Which Illuminated Scope for Deer/Big Game?

lgraham

I am looking at getting a new scope for my rifle and thought I would consult some advise here first. The purpose of this rifle will be average range deer/ big game hunting. However, I would also like to be able to use this rifle to shoot long range on game out to 6-700 yards max. With that in mind I also know that I want to get a scope with an illuminated dot/cross hair reticle (really like the red dot for fast running shots/low light). However, which scope to get I am not sure. I have always been a Leupold man and all my current scopes have a golden ring. I was kinda set on getting a VX-3 4.5-14x40mm LR scope with side focus, CDS, and an illuminated dot reticle. However, the scope is close to 1000.00 and I'm not sure if I really want to spend that much (or if it's necessary). This is due to the fact that Leupold just came out with the VX-R lineup which is exactly what I'm looking for as far as the illuminated reticle and CDS dial goes. It also has glass in between the VX-II and III but does not have a side focus or an adjustable objective like the VX-III. Is a side focus or AO really necessary for game hunting out to 600 yards? Anyhow, which scope would you pick, any other quality scopes would also be considered. Finally, is 4-12x50mm enough magnification or too much. Essentially which illuminated reticle scope would you choose for hunting deer/big game from 50 yards to 600.
Thanks,
Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.