Which GPS unit for me?

TX mountain hunter

I'm running out of time to buy a GPS and still get the maps in before my mid-September hunt. I'm looking for a GPS that will load fast, and be user friendly. I'm planning on using this unit to hunt public land in multiple states over the next couple years. Therefore, I would like the unit to be SD card compatible so I can buy some cards of the public / private overlays from the links through this website.

I was looking at the Rino units, but my buddy has talked me out of those due to the limited range of the unit to unit location communication feature & the limited radio range. We would like to be able to see where each other is at for more than just a mile or two.

Bottom line I guess, what is the most affordable unit I should go with so I still have money for extra batteries, charger, maps and other accessories (which accessories should I focus on?).

Thanks!

I'm running out of time to buy a GPS and still get the maps in before my mid-September hunt. I'm looking for a GPS that will load fast, and be user friendly. I'm planning on using this unit to hunt public land in multiple states over the next couple years. Therefore, I would like the unit to be SD card compatible so I can buy some cards of the public / private overlays from the links through this website.

I was looking at the Rino units, but my buddy has talked me out of those due to the limited range of the unit to unit location communication feature & the limited radio range. We would like to be able to see where each other is at for more than just a mile or two.

Bottom line I guess, what is the most affordable unit I should go with so I still have money for extra batteries, charger, maps and other accessories (which accessories should I focus on?).

Thanks!

I would look into the recon app for cell phone for 6 bucks. My son just got it on his i_phone
And it works great!

Will that app work several miles back in the middle of nowhere? Most of the places I will be going in to will not have any cell phone reception. Will it show the public land private land overlays?

If so, do you know the full name of the app? Thanks.

I use a delorme pn60, it comes with all the maps you need and you get free aerial photo downloads also, its easy to operate also.

Thumbs down on the recon smartphone app. Tried it last year, and I was not impressed. Smartphone GPS antenna are not as robust as a dedicated GPS unit. Horrible reception in forested areas... poor acquisition speed. Battery life on the smartphone with the GPS running is poor as well. And, you'll need some way of recharging your smartphone in the field on multi-day hunts.

I'd stick with Garmin or Magellan that use standard AA batteries. I use the eTrex 20, which has expandable memory. Don't waste your money on a more expensive unit... unless you need other built-in features, like camera, 3-axis compass, wireless sharing, etc.

I forgot to mention... IMO, the Rhino is conceptually a good idea, but you're paying a lot for a FRS/GMRS radio built into the GPS. Yes, it does have the capability to display another person's position using a similar Rhino, but I just can't justify the cost. You could argue that it's better because you're reducing the number of devices you have to carry. My arguments against are:

1) Unless you're willing to invest in 2 Rhino's, you're hunting buddy will need one too.
2) I prefer to have a separate radio, for both reliability and power consumption. With respect to the latter, when I'm not on the move I don't have my GPS on. I guess with the Rhino you could manually shut off the GPS and use it as just a radio, but this seems like a step I might forget resulting in unnecessary power consumption.
3) It's not often that I need to know exactly where a hunting buddy might be. But when I do, it's just as easy to report your position (lat and lon) using a radio, and plug that position into your GPS as a POI or waypoint. If needing an exact position all the time is something important, then perhaps a dog tracking collar is more appropriate :rolleyes: Or, you could possibly use Garmin's geo-caching beacons as a way to report each other's positions, providing your unit is compatible (i've not tried this, and don't know if it's capable ... it's just a thought lightbulb).

Thanks for the responses guys. I may checkout that Recon program, but the country we're going into will be steep, rugged and lots of trees so I probably won't rely on it as my only source. After the Rino feedback I've gotten, I guess I'm leaning towards one of these unless anyone has a reason to make me look elsewhere. These seem to have some of the best reviews, are fairly inexpensive and still have the SD slot.

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal Navigator
Not sure if it's worth the extra $30 over this one though…
Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks again

eTrex 20 - better display that is much easier to see in daylight. Built-in memory (1.7 GB), and custom maps compatible. It's worth the $30 more.

You cant go wrong with garmin! The best gps going Imo, and our group has tried them all.

The i-phone app must work better on different phones, as its been did nuts for us here at sea level. Sat equation has been fast also and would think it should be even better at higher elevations. Battery life is not a big deal for us. We always have a generator or are in a motel. We will give a unbiased opinion after this years Wyoming hunt.

The Legend HCx is all I need and with the Wyoming SD chip I bought for it I think it's fantastic. The GPS was only $153 delivered on Amazon.com and sometimes the price is lower than that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.