Which dies for 6.5-06

375fan

Planning a 6.5-06 build.
Hornady reloading book #8 refers to it as 6.5mm-06, their dies are referred to as
6.5 A-Square.
Redding list their dies as 6.5-06 springfield, my question; is are both dies sets the same dimension or are they 2 totally different cartridges?
Thanks, Jeff

Both are simply the 30-06 necked down to 6.5, but there may be minor dimensional differences between the 2. The 6.5-06 A-square has been submitted to SAAMI, but to the best of my knowledge still has no standardization. This would be my choice if I were building one, also you will need to specify this when you get the chamber cut, no point having A-square dies and a 06 chamber.
I have a 338-06 A-square, which has been standardized by SAAMI, if the 6.5 A-square is based on this standardized case then the reamers should be very dimensionally correct, a 338-06 A-square reamer with a floating neck pilot could be used to cut the chamber and the neck/throat could be cut seperately, just ask your gunsmith what approach would be best.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.