Which decapping rod expander

TXAoudadKlr

While sizing some cases this evening the expander got stuck in the case mouth. Just thinking the case was being stubborn and not wanting to come out of the die I applied a good bit of force and pulled the decapping rod through the die with the expander firmly stuck in the mouth of the case. In an attempt to liberate the expander from the case I broke the rod.

I will be ordering a new spindle kit from Hornady and the a decapping rod expander from Hornady as well. This is for my 300AX, I'm assuming I need the #10 (307 diameter) and not the #11(310 diameter) expander. I just want to be sure before ordering the parts.

Thank you,

To answer your question I brush the inside of the case's neck liberally but no lube on the inside of the neck. Thing is I had just taken my sizing die a apart and put it back together when it happened.

I heard something about using a dry lube on the expander would y'all advise that or no?

Without lube in the necks, the expander ball might pull the case long.

I haven't had that happen but I lube all necks except for straight wall pistols.

I have used Mica to lube necks, but now I lube with RCBS resizing lube and a neck brush.

I tumble my brass after I resize and that removes the lube that could cause problems.

Last year I used Hornady one shot on the necks and had no problems with fouling without tumbling after resizing. I didn't like to wipe lube off a couple hundred .223 cases, I am lazy.

I would recommend using some type of lube, Mica is the only dry lube that I know of. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in and let us both know.

Were the cases cleaned any way before sizing? Have the cases work hardened and need annealed? Carbon buildup in the case neck can be a problem even with lube. I have used 0000 steel wool on a shaft in an electric drill to remove carbon before I got into ultrasonic case cleaning. Used Mica with brush as a lube. The expander ball may have some rust form on it and caused part of the problem. .307 expander ball would be the size for .308 bullet. Good Luck.

While sizing some cases this evening the expander got stuck in the case mouth. Just thinking the case was being stubborn and not wanting to come out of the die I applied a good bit of force and pulled the decapping rod through the die with the expander firmly stuck in the mouth of the case. In an attempt to liberate the expander from the case I broke the rod.

I will be ordering a new spindle kit from Hornady and the a decapping rod expander from Hornady as well. This is for my 300AX, I'm assuming I need the #10 (307 diameter) and not the #11(310 diameter) expander. I just want to be sure before ordering the parts.

I discovered I achieved better accuracy by seating a bullet, then pulling said bullet and then seating the bullet I intend to shoot. So I ordered a .277 size for my .264. I spent an hour sanding it down in the drill press to .2635". Finally I purchased a bushing die and don't use the expander at all.

Hope this helps.

Were the cases cleaned any way before sizing? Have the cases work hardened and need annealed? Carbon buildup in the case neck can be a problem even with lube. I have used 0000 steel wool on a shaft in an electric drill to remove carbon before I got into ultrasonic case cleaning. Used Mica with brush as a lube. The expander ball may have some rust form on it and caused part of the problem. .307 expander ball would be the size for .308 bullet. Good Luck.

Aside from taking a brush to the inside of the neck no, I haven't cleaned or annealed any of them yet since I only had one firing underneath them.

Furthermore, brass life (the ability of the neck to hold the bullet and cracking because of workhardened brass, will be greatly reduced when removing the expander ball because expanding the neck and then contracting the neck (in the die) each time it's fired, workhardens the brass quickly.

I don't know (and don't want to know what an expander ball is.....lol

Forget about replacing the expander ball.
Leave it out and follow up with this process.

I got a Sinclair concentricity checker ~ 10 years ago for ~$100.
Inside the box was a fortune cookie note:
"You will probably find that the expander ball is the problem."

Save yourself $100, and stop using the expander ball during the resizing step.
When the neck of the dies changes the neck of the brass while the expander ball is in the case, the expander ball is going to expand the neck on the way out. That force is opposed by the shell holder in tension. The shell holder does not pull straight. Not enough to see the case neck look bent with the naked eye, but enough to measure with the concentricity gauge.

There are things that will make a bigger difference than getting rid of the expander ball:
Shoot when there is no wind
Clean the Copper out of the bore
Don't flinch when pulling the trigger.

Most accuracy rituals have no measureable effects, they just add up.
But the expander ball effect is big enough to see when two targets are compared.

Mine (Sinclair concentricity checker) had the same fortune cookie note, but I was already minus the ball......

The one and only time an expander ball is needed is in FL resizing new brass or foreign,once fired brass where you aren't familiar with the history.

I use the Sinclair gage for neck rounout and a Hornady concentricity gage for bullet runout.... neat setup btw. Allows you to remove the runout while the pill is jugged. I use it all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.