Which cartridge and barrel contour?

I have a Criterion Light Palma from NSS in my 6.5x284. It's a nice barrel for LR, but I think it would be heavy for a youngster to handle well. I'd suggest a spotter or heavy sporter weight.

I have a Criterion Light Palma from NSS in my 6.5x284. It's a nice barrel for LR, but I think it would be heavy for a youngster to handle well. I'd suggest a spotter or heavy sporter weight.

I'm starting to lean towards heavy sporter. My x bolt is wearing what browning calls a heavy sporter and something close to that would be good.

I'd go fast twist 25cal of some sort. creed or Sherman short... She can practice with 85gr.s, hunt with 100 gr. Partitions until she's bigger then she can move up to the 131 Bjs, or Hammers.

Both of my girls started mule deer hunting with an older savage model 110 in 243. It weighs in with scope between 6.5 & 7 pounds. Loaded with 100 gr Speer but there are 105 gr options with a faster twist barrel. Recoil is very manageable and I would add a sims recoil pad before a brake. Great starter caliber and lots of choices for reloading or factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.