Which 6.5

I think the primary advantage to the CM is the factory ammo in many cases is more accurate than hand loads. I am shooting, when I do my part, 5 round groups at 1/4 moa with Hornady ELDX 142 gr.

Having said that, if reloading is your thing I say go w 6.5 Saum as long as she is strictly for hunting... poor barrel life.

Last edited:
I like the 6.5x47 although my velocities are a bit more sedate than previously mentioned. Super reliable feeding/extraction and the brass lasts forever. I have over 30 firings on this batch and only annealed once. Shoots pretty well too. Can't figure out why the military hasn't adopted it.

The 6.5 SAUM is a badass cartridge but I do want to shoot this rifle at the range a ton so it's kind of out of the question due to barrel life like you mentioned. I'm really torn between the creed and the x47

I think I get the velocity I do with my one x47 due to the reamer that RBros has developed. Now in my other gun I can't get close to 3000 fps. Different reamer and also different bullet. I think the Accubond has more bearing surface than the Berger. But it does run a comfortable 2900 fps. As mentioned earlier the x47 brass lasts forever. If not reloading I'd go Creed. If you want more power go Sherman.

The 6.5 SAUM is a badass cartridge but I do want to shoot this rifle at the range a ton so it's kind of out of the question due to barrel life like you mentioned. I'm really torn between the creed and the x47

And the poor quality of Hornady brass. If use is intended to be more of a range rifle, then consider availabity of GOOD brass such as what is offered by Lapau.

In my experience over a few batches of hornady brass, it's OK brass. Not junk, but not great either. It's just not as consistent as other reputable brass makers. I usually got 7-8 firings on it before it was done. (6.5 cm). I got some ADG which was supposed to be awesome brass for the price. It's very consistent brass, but I dont forsee it making it 7-8 firings. Pockets are already pretty lose after 3 firings. I had norma brass split necks after 3 firings.

I have a terrible batch of 6.5cm hornady brass, and a really good batch or hornady 6.5cm brass(150 within 1gr). It's really not that bad. I bought 200 7rm hornady brass and it weighed within 2gr except two pieces

How much Hornady 6.5 brass have you used? What was the quality issues? This stuff ain't Frontier Hornady......[/QUOTE

Could not get more than 3 firings before the primer pockets would not hold a primer. Also with what I call normal loads, extractor marks were noticeable and particles of brass were all over the bolt face. This was out of a 6.5 SAUM.

I've had decent experiences with Hornady brass.

Quality ammo starts with good brass and Hornady factory ammo has a reputation of being very accurate.

These type conversations make me wonder just how much does brass contributes to accuracy!

Hornady loaded ammo is very good, but the brass it was loaded in is lower tier quality after its once fired?!?!?

I guess it's possible the brass is only good enough for only one firing.

I've had real good luck with Hornady brass. I had 100 pieces of 6.5x284 Lapua brass and loose one on each firing. So I 95 left after 5 firing. I guess I might have a bad batch. But my Hornady range brass has better life in three different calibers.

I've had decent experiences with Hornady brass.

Quality ammo starts with good brass and Hornady factory ammo has a reputation of being very accurate.

These type conversations make me wonder just how much does brass contributes to accuracy!

Hornady loaded ammo is very good, but the brass it was loaded in is lower tier quality after its once fired?!?!?

I guess it's possible the brass is only good enough for only one firing.

I've had real good luck with Hornady brass. I had 100 pieces of 6.5x284 Lapua brass and loose one on each firing. So I 95 left after 5 firing. I guess I might have a bad batch. But my Hornady range brass has better life in three different calibers.
Federal gold medal match has a reputation for very good accuracy. But Fed brass sucks!!! Lol

But Fed brass sucks!!! Lol
I think you baited me into this response! LOL:D

I agree 100% about Federal brass, there are guys here who really like it. When I sort my range brass after a day at the range all Federal goes straight to the scape brass bucket. I'm a suckered for nickel plated brass, but if I find "FC" on the case head...it goes in the recycle bucket!

I apologize to the OP for derailing your thread.

6.5 Creedmoor is still would be my choice under your criteria!

I did fight the urge to build one. It was my last 6.5 bolt build out of 5, 6.5 caliber rifles that I built for my wife and I over the last year.

My personal favorites are the 6.5x284 and the 264wm, but neither are "over the counter" nor real economical to load for like the Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts