Which 6.5 Grendel? – Buy or Build

treillw

Hello,

I'm a new fan of the 6.5 Grendel. I've been reading a lot about it and think it will be a great setup for coyote and wolf hunting. I am a little confused about the best way to go about getting one however. There aren't many "typical" manufactures that offer them from what I've seen. It seems like lots of people build them from parts, buy uppers, or just rebarrel existing rifles. I have come across a few manufacturers that appear to build high quality rifles.

My top priority is long range accuracy. I have a bolt gun that is setup for long range and lots of gadgets for calculating corrections that will also work for a Grendel. I would like the gun to shoot sub half MOA groups and be 1000 yard capable. Second priority would be weight. I'm OK with carrying a gun that has some meat on it, but don't want to go over 9lb. I am OK with paying for quality. It would be awesome to be in the $2000 range, but my arm could be twisted to cough up some more.

I'm sure a number of you will tell me to build one. I don't know if that is a road that my obsessive compulsive self wants to go down though. I currently have no clue how to go about building one, but I am pretty handy and I'm sure I could figure it out with help from the internet and kind folks such as you! What I don't know is if I will be able to achieve the same build quality as somebody who does it every day for their occupation.

What is your opinion on the best option for achieving my desired result? Which manufactures/components would you suggest that produce highly accurate rifles?

Side question: I see that Les Baer makes a .264 LBC-AR cartridge. Is this the same as the 6.5 Grendel? Better or worse? Pros/cons?

Thank you!

Hello,

I'm a new fan of the 6.5 Grendel. I've been reading a lot about it and think it will be a great setup for coyote and wolf hunting. I am a little confused about the best way to go about getting one however. There aren't many "typical" manufactures that offer them from what I've seen. It seems like lots of people build them from parts, buy uppers, or just rebarrel existing rifles. I have come across a few manufacturers that appear to build high quality rifles.

My top priority is long range accuracy. I have a bolt gun that is setup for long range and lots of gadgets for calculating corrections that will also work for a Grendel. I would like the gun to shoot sub half MOA groups and be 1000 yard capable. Second priority would be weight. I'm OK with carrying a gun that has some meat on it, but don't want to go over 9lb. I am OK with paying for quality. It would be awesome to be in the $2000 range, but my arm could be twisted to cough up some more.

I'm sure a number of you will tell me to build one. I don't know if that is a road that my obsessive compulsive self wants to go down though. I currently have no clue how to go about building one, but I am pretty handy and I'm sure I could figure it out with help from the internet and kind folks such as you! What I don't know is if I will be able to achieve the same build quality as somebody who does it every day for their occupation.

What is your opinion on the best option for achieving my desired result? Which manufactures/components would you suggest that produce highly accurate rifles?

Side question: I see that Les Baer makes a .264 LBC-AR cartridge. Is this the same as the 6.5 Grendel? Better or worse? Pros/cons?

Thank you!

I built a 24" upper for one of my AR lowers. AR's are fairly easy to build, unless you don't know what you're doing, then it can seem intimidating. Companies like Rainier Arms will assemble your upper for you, if you buy all the parts from them. Then you just have to attach he upper to the lower with 2 takedown pins. Doesn't get much simpler than that. I have all the tools and I've been messing with AR's for many years, so I build all my own. But if someone is not familiar, Rainier will build and assemble everything, including whole rifle if you want them to, for a very small fee. And I've been doing business with them for many years. They're standup folks.

Bolt-action would be ideal for the 6.5 Grendel, in my opinion, but because it uses a weird bolt size, you have to start out with either a .223 action, 7.62x39 action, or 6.8 SPC action to build on. So it makes things more difficult for the gunsmith which means more expensive for you. Someday I will build a 6.5 Grendel on a short-action Rem 700. That's been a big goal of mine for several years.

Components... I use Hornady brass (since I'm using an AR, and could possible tear up the brass or lose some), but the best brass is Lapua. The Hornady brass is just fine though...It's just cheaper. I load my own ammo, so I use Nosler Custom Comp 123gr bullets (which were designed for the Grendel) and Berger 130 AR Hybrids. CFE-223 and Varget powder for loads.

Yes, .264 LBC is essentially the same exact thing as the 6.5 Grendel. The only difference that reloading dies makes is that the .264 LBC has a .005" tighter neck diameter, which will not make any different when loading ammo. That being said, I use RCBS .264 LBC dies to reload for my 6.5 Grendel with zero issues.

I bought my AR 6.5G new off gunbroker exclusively for long range non-competitive bullseye shooting. Its an Alexander Arms 24" match upper with New Frontier Arms composite lower. I have it zeroed at 500y. Last week I shot a 1" group at 425y at my club range and I hope to do something similar when I move over to the 600y range when the weather clears some. My plan is to shoot the 600 some, then next yr join the next club up the road that has out to 1300y ranges. I use only factory ammo. Good luck w yours

Look at a Dtech upper instead of that Grendel. It'll eat a Grendel for lunch and actually get to 1k comfortably. A Grendel may make steel go PING at 1k. A D-tech will KILL stuff at 1k.

Hello,

Thank you!
Take a look at the 6.5CM, .260 Rem and 6.5x55. All will out perform the Grendel considerably.

Good luck finding WSSM brass or ammo...

Good luck finding ANY cool brass. About tired of it. I have a few WSSM laying arounjd but I see it in LGS more than I see any RUM stuff. Also it is around on the web. Well worth it to have BEYOND AR-10 power on a AR-15 base.

Good luck finding ANY cool brass. About tired of it. I have a few WSSM laying arounjd but I see it in LGS more than I see any RUM stuff. Also it is around on the web. Well worth it to have BEYOND AR-10 power on a AR-15 base.

I haven't seen anything WSSM in a gun store in almost a decade... Y'all must have some seriously old stock mom & pop stores around there. Not that I would be complaining, because they usually have stuff the popular and big stores don't...But they also don't tend to move as much product as fast as the big stores do.

I'm looking for a .473" bolt and barrel extension for an AR-15 (not an AR-10), for a couple wildcats I've designed, but can't seem to find anyone who makes one... You know of anybody?

Here's a good article comparing the Grendel to the other popular 6.5's.

Why Most 6.5mm Cartridges are Great, but 6.5 Grendel Is Just Okay

How would a 6.5 Creedmore AR10 compare in weight and size to a 6.5 G AR15? Ultimately if I really want to get out there, I have a .300 win mag. This gun will mainly be used for coyotes, wolves, maybe deer in the right area, and target practice. I'm not planning on shooting elk or long range deer with it. It offers a big jump in performance compared to a 5.56.

How would a 6.5 Creedmore AR10 compare in weight and size to a 6.5 G AR15? Ultimately if I really want to get out there, I have a .300 win mag. This gun will mainly be used for coyotes, wolves, maybe deer in the right area, target practice. I'm not planning on shooting elk or long range deer with it. It offers a big jump in performance compared to a 5.56.

About the difference between Scarlett Johansen and Rosie O'Donnel. Give or take 3 oz. The D-tech will weigh what an AR-15 weighs. They are starting to build lightweight AR10s BUT they still weigh highs 8s.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.