Which 338???Who to build it?.

Grit, You described the benefits of the 338 Norma very well and all those reasons plus a few more are why it is one of the best choices out there. It really doesn't matter as far as your experience with a particular caliber. Once you gain quite a bit of knowledge and experience with a few different calibers certain attributes began to apply across the caliber spectrum up to 338 or so concerning case design and efficientcy. Efficient case designs like the 338 Norma can utilize faster burning powders making them excellent in shorter barrels and shrinking velocity spreads from the big slow burning powder guzzling giants. Doesn't mean the big guys aren't any good because they can be made to shoot extremely well and I have many. Just that the more efficient the case design, the less critical the cartridge is for getting excellent accuracy. Less overall work and a wider range of loads and bullets to choose from that will achieve extreme accuracy.

All great advice for the op, however, I have yet seen anyone discuss the prices for all of this. He initially talked about having a nightforce for the rig. With rings that's almost half of his budget. Which leaves just a touch over 2k to build the whole rifle. It can be done but with top shelf components this isn't going to come in under or at 4K. All things considered, still need dies, components, and perhaps other loading equip that this caliber is going to need.
Not a party fouler, just hoping your realize that a high end rifle is going to cost (especially) if it's built and not bought second hand.

LTLR,
I agree completely. A cartridge being a personal favorite only makes it my favorite :D. Most calibers can be made to run well. Sometimes it's simple, other times it's a long road. Taking the long road has its own rewards, for sure. Lots of great 338 cartridges.... I'd love to shoot 'em all. I suspect you've been playing with these rounds longer then I've been taking up space.

Go to the for sale (guns) section right now, there is a fella who has some family issues and is selling his .338 AX that is being finished up with Kirby right now. This is brand new not even finished with BAT action Manners the works!! Inludes nightforce scope!!! 5500 denarii. That's is as good a deal as you will ever find. OH and dies and brass etc etc. If I didn't just build a lapua I would be allllllllll over it! hth.
and say a prayer for the fella.

I related that to him in post 3, and light weight tackdriver DE 338 rum also for s great deal, they are both loosing $$

sorry for the re direct sp6x6, I must have not seen your recommendation. And you are right the lightweight edge would work very well too.

Forgive me if this sounds like a thread hijack but
I have to ask what about the 340 Weatherby? Is it capable of very good accuracy given it is put together by a reputable Benchrest gunsmith? The reason I ask is my action is now chambered in 8mm Rem Mag and would be an easy change to it. I do know it has a shorter throat than the standard 340 Weatherby reamer and is min neck but not tight neck

The 340 wby is an excellent cartridge and the best we had for a standard magnum action until the 338 RUM came out in 2001. The 338 RUM will fit nicely on your action and would be the better choice because of cheaper brass, no belt and 125+ fps gain. I have shot the 340 wby since the 70's and like the cartridge. It is as accurate as any if built right. If wby can't bring their brass prices under control they are just loosing out to these new cartridges that perform as well or better with no belt and much cheaper brass.

LTLR when you say The RUM will fit my action, I'm assuming you mean the length, but how does it feed or does it take extensive action work to make it feed thru the magazine. It is primarily a carry hunting rifle as the barrel is a #4 and can only be a max of 26"
What about the 338/375 Ruger is that going anywhere or is it a dead cartridge. The reason I ask is it measures the same as the WB belt at .532. My other thought is a bit shorter cartridge to be able to seat the bullets out farther which the RUM is a bit shorter.

Thanks

There are several aftermarket magazines that fit your rifle and work well with the RUM. Modification is not difficult for your action to fit the RUM case. Bolt face and length are the same since you have the longest remington action with the 8mm rem mag. The rails will need to be slightly modified to feed properly with the fatter case. That is minor for a gunsmith. Accurizing your action is more work than changing it to the RUM. I shoot a 26" barrel 338 RUM regularly and it is one of the best carry rifles around. Mine weighs 8.5 pounds scoped out and I shoot a .64 BC 225 grain bullet over 3300 fps.

The 340 wby will work perfect. Just screw the 340 barrel in and it works perfect since the cases are virtually the same thing. You can neck up Remington 300 wby brass and save the wby brass cost since the 340 is just a necked up 300. I have both and on average there is about 125 fps difference between the 340 wby and the 338 RUM and 338-300 RUM that goes by several names.

The 340 wby will work perfect. Just screw the 340 barrel in and it works perfect since the cases are virtually the same thing. You can neck up Remington 300 wby brass and save the wby brass cost since the 340 is just a necked up 300. I have both and on average there is about 125 fps difference between the 340 wby and the 338 RUM and 338-300 RUM that goes by several names.[/QUOTE]

So is the 338 rum faster than the 338 jarret? Will a 338 wim m70 be able to be reworked into a 338 rum?

And which bullet is a 225. Gr with a 640 bc? Thats amazing!

The 338 Jarret I am familiar with is a necked up 8mm remington case which is the same thing as a 340 wby without the radius shoulder and freebore. The wby with the freebore is faster and the 338 RUM is 125 fps faster again on average. If that is the one you are calling the Jarret. The problem with all these names different shops gives cartridges they are hard to keep up with. I wish they would just all use the standard nomentclature of the base cartridge and neck size.

The 338 RUM can be made from a 338 win mag with modifications to make it feed properly. Some of the 338 win mag actions are the '06 length magnums and causes you not to be able to eject cartridges properly. I built several RUM's on 375 H&H model 70's but i thing they are slightly longer than the actions used for the win mags.

I am shooting the Cutting Edge 225 grain hunting bullet with the .64 bc between 3300 and 3350 fps out of my 26" barrel 338 RUM. On average I am getting 75-100 fps more velocity with the CE bullets than standard lead core bullets. That holds with this rifle as my previous load was a 225 Accubond at 3260 fps tops with the same load.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts