Which 338 lapua bullet

jaybo

I do not reload but am asking for a friend. For those of you that shoot the 338 Lapua, which powder and bullet would you recommend for best accuracy? He said he already has H-1000 and was going to start with it but wanted input from those that have experience.

I have had good luck with 300 smk and reloder 25, but will probably try RL 33 soon! I think h1000 or retumbo is worth a shot too.

The berger 300 will the the next bullet I try. Hornady makes a 285 that looks like it might be worth a shot too.

What twist does your friend have?

I talked to him this morning and asked which rifle he had and what was the twist rate. He told me, I haven't gotten the rifle yet, the dies just came in and I am going to be out a while due to surgery and want to play with my reloading while I'm out. I told him, Squeaky, his nickname, I've heard of people buying rifles and playing with loads for accuracy but, I have never heard of buying dies then loading bullets for a rifle you don't have. He said, not yet but it's coming! Said he is looking at the Savage.

I tried the 300 grain OTM hybrid and the Hornady 285 ELD with H1000. I found half Moa to 1200 yards with the 285. The 300 hybrid just takes to much of my time to fine tune. It seems it always takes one more range trip, one more seating tweak to get the Bergers where I want them. With Hornady I load to with a bullets diameter in the case neck, run a ladder and find a load. Hardly ever needing much more tweaking.

I tried the 300 grain OTM hybrid and the Hornady 285 ELD with H1000. I found half Moa to 1200 yards with the 285. The 300 hybrid just takes to much of my time to fine tune. It seems it always takes one more range trip, one more seating tweak to get the Bergers where I want them. With Hornady I load to with a bullets diameter in the case neck, run a ladder and find a load. Hardly ever needing much more tweaking.

I had the same problem with the bergers until I put them up against the lands. I've never had to run hybrids close to the lands, but my Lapua sure likes them there.

I was shooting last week and found a .338 300 grain Berger at the backstop. That's the first time I've seen one and thought that is one fine looking bullet.......wish I never would have found that dam thing

Just like brentc, I also load my 300 gr Bergers to .001-.002 off the lands. I'm using 93.2 grains of Retumbo with Lapua brass. I've loaded many 285's, but never could put my finger on why I would have the occasional flyer. Not bad, but enough to ruin a good run. Using the 300 Bergers, I've shot many .5 moa groups at 600-1000 yds. Recently, I shot a 9.5" 3 shot group at 1696 yds. On the lighter 285, I used the H1000 as well as Retumbo. On the 300, I only use Retumbo. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.