338 lapua bullet seating!

sniperboy

Hi to all!

I have just started loading rounds for my 338 lapua and am a bit unsure of the bullet seating depth. According to the vihtavuori reloading manuel that i m going by it say the height of the round from the bottom of the case till the tip of the projectile to be 3.681". I was curious to see if it was hard up against the lance and went up to 3.750 and it still wasnt touching the lance. My question is is it better the projectile is hard up against the lance or a few thou back?

Looking forward to your replies!
Thanks!

A little more info needed to give a meaningful answer. What bullet weight are you using (dictates length to some extent)? Do you want to load from a magazine or just single feed rounds?

For best accuracy, the consensus seems to be that just off the lands works well for VLD type bullets, but I have tended to jam my loads in a few thou.

Whatever way you go, ignore the AOL in the loading manual as its a pretty arbitrary figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.