Which 300?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

Question is: 300WM or 300WSM

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
I have shot both I have .300 wthby now if you learn the caliber I shot 150 gr. Prefer a faster rd. The wind is what you need to learn .240 wthby 2506 .270 I shoot running shots by preference

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rifle. I want it in a 300 for bigger animals such as elk although I will use it for deer here in Oklahoma at times.

The reason I'm even considering the wsm is for the weight savings. I hope to have this come in at 8.5# or even less. That's hunting weight.

If I'm wanting to possibly shoot longer ranges, how much difference is there? Which should I go with?
you don't need a cannon to kill elk

300 rum or norma

You can't really go wrong with the 300 Win Mag. Factory ammo is on every sporting goods or walmart store shelf, if you loose yours on a trip. Just my two cents.

Well guys. Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, opinions, etc. it was helpful.

I hadn't considered the 300prc before this discussion, but was totally going to go that route until I figured out that you can't buy one in a factory gun at this point. Custom is not an option at this point.

So I've pulled the trigger on a very lightly used Fierce Fury in 300wm. I think it was just meant to be considering it came up for sale on a forum as I started this thread. It's in transit as I type this.

Latter this year, when CA or maybe other manufacturers put out a decent priced 300prc I'll be all over one.

Well guys. Thanks for all the comments, suggestions, opinions, etc. it was helpful.

I hadn't considered the 300prc before this discussion, but was totally going to go that route until I figured out that you can't buy one in a factory gun at this point. Custom is not an option at this point.

So I've pulled the trigger on a very lightly used Fierce Fury in 300wm. I think it was just meant to be considering it came up for sale on a forum as I started this thread. It's in transit as I type this.

Latter this year, when CA or maybe other manufacturers put out a decent priced 300prc I'll be all over one.
Very nice choice. As close to a Custom Rig as you can get. They build very nice rifles. Congrats.

Knowing what I know now and having regretted not listening to my elders... from your options the 300 win mag.... that being said I have a 300 RUM and I love it..I also have a 300 win mag which is realistically more than adequate and all I need...and a lot easier to feed...

I hope your Fury works out well for you. Recently I looked up reviews on youtube on the Fierce Fury and I came across this one. Overall good review except at at about 5 min in he "looks under the hood", takes the action off the stock. And I thought this is very familiar. It looks almost identical to a SAKO M85 Finnlight 300 WSM I once owned. That rifle cost me some big bucks and I couldn't get ti to shoot for s#$t. 3-4 MOA with numerous factory and handloads. Under close examination I found it had no recoil lug or not much of one. The recoil lug is a critical part of a rifle action.

Here's a thread I opened on it
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye.49659/

Here's a pic of my SAKO action
IMG_0328.JPG

Sako 85 Recoil Lug 070.JPG

Last edited:
Also curious why you pick the 300 PRC over the 30 Nosler? They are both excellent cartridges IMO, almost identical in form with the 30 Nos having about 3-4 more grains capacity. The biggest reason I would pick the 30 is because ADG brass is available. If you never plan to reload, probably no big deal.

Excellent choice of chambering, I'm glad you stayed on course with your plan. Keep us posted on she performs. Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I hope your Fury works out well for you. Recently I looked up reviews on youtube on the Fierce Fury and I came across this one. Overall good review except at at about 5 min in he "looks under the hood", takes the action off the stock. And I thought this is very familiar. It looks almost identical to a SAKO M85 Finnlight 300 WSM I once owned. That rifle cost me some big bucks and I couldn't get ti to shoot for s#$t. 3-4 MOA with numerous factory and handloads. Under close examination I found it had no recoil lug or not much of one. The recoil lug is a critical part of a rifle action.

Here's a thread I opened on it
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye.49659/

Here's a pic of my SAKO actionView attachment 129319
View attachment 129320
I'm sure he feels real good about his purchase now. Geeez

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.