Where to start with suppressors?

Yeah it definitely sounds like a QD system is the way to go. But both the nomad LT and the dominus cb are out of stock right now. I wish I could just order one because by the time everything goes through with the tax stamp it should be ready to ship to me I would think.
Respectfully I disagree with everyone regarding QD. I prefer direct thread on bolt actions, partly because QD brakes tend be be less effective as brakes compared to dedicated brakes and not using a QD mount allows me to thread on a non-QD tuner or brake when I want to. I move back and forth between an EC Tuner and an Omega 300 on two different rifles depending on time of year. I don't see a reason to have multiple QD mounts for applications where the mounts don't need to be fixed - mainly bolt action rifles. So I skip the QD and thread the cans on.

I do use QD on ARs (I more permanently affix the QD mounts to account for barrel heating and cycling), and with my 338 Ultra CB mount (which was timed when the barrel was threaded), but everything else is direct thread. That's a big reason I have the Omega 300s, they come with a direct thread and with a QD insert for the can - that was one of my early purchases for coverage on multiple rifles. ARs got brake mounts, bolts used direct thread. My newest TBAC is direct thread, and one of my Omegas has never had the QD insert in it.

I use the Accu-Washer system to mount my QD brakes, never a peel washer or a crush washer for timing:

My standard recommendation for a first time owner is the Omega 300 or any TBAC. The background logic is based on you get a high quality can, from a reputable manufacturer that won't disappear on you during the stamp wait, they both offer excellent QC and customer service, and I own enough of each brand to feel comfortable repping them to people based on first hand experience. They aren't the cheapest, they aren't the best at everything, there's always something else that offers something they don't, but the baseline is they're solid, useful, reliable suppressors that anyone can buy with confidence.

TBAC Ultra 7 30 cal direct thread is a great can, in stock at Mile High right now. Ordering online from Mile High Shooting and having them transfer to a local Silencer Shop kiosk or Class III dealer for the Form 4 is very simple:

Last edited:
Looks like you're from Wisconsin! If you are near Madison-ish, you are welcome to try my Silencerco Omega..
Yes I am from Wisconsin! Although I'm about 3 1/2 hours north of Madison. Thanks for the offer though! There's a couple silencer shop kiosks around me but each one is probably just over a hour away. At some point I will get there and set it up. Thanks for the replies!

Keep in mind some of those light weight Ti cans are not designed for high rates of fire from a semi auto, make sure you check the ratings from manufacturer.

I have all Silencer co so the mounts are the same, though now you can use the same mounts across most manufacturers (I've heard dead air has a good mounting system)

Right now I am waiting on a KG Made 6.5 specific for my lightweight hunter.

Wanting to buy a suppressor but honestly a little lost on how to even go about getting one. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also suggestions on what suppressor I should get would be helpful as well. Mainly for hunting but could be doing some target shooting as well. Everything I'll be shooting is 30 cal and under and want something that's not super heavy or long. Any help is appreciated!
There's an article in the March/April 2022 "Rifle Shooter" named "Suppressors Made Easy" by Brad Fitzpatrick I haven't finished the article yet but it appears he endorses Silencer Central as his go to. They helped him pick out his can, explained establishing a trust and did all paper work and signing via email.
They also spread out the payments so you don't owe the total purchase price upfront (for a can you might not see for several months).

Also double check desired barrel length in the cartridge you wish to shoot… ex: TB Dominus that I ordered is not rated for 22" barreled 300 Norma I had an idea to build, whereas the ultra 7,9etc… does work

There's an article in the March/April 2022 "Rifle Shooter" named "Suppressors Made Easy" by Brad Fitzpatrick I haven't finished the article yet but it appears he endorses Silencer Central as his go to. They helped him pick out his can, explained establishing a trust and did all paper work and signing via email.
They also spread out the payments so you don't owe the total purchase price upfront (for a can you might not see for several months).
👆👆👆What he says! Was just there Monday to order new Banish .338, I waited a year for its release. I easily could have purchased another brand, Silencer Central carries others. Such easy folks to do business with! 6th Banish on the books, looking forward to the e file speed of approval😂😂

Direct thread is the only way to go.

No need to buy additional QD brakes. Just get a 1/2-28x5/8-24 adapter and you'll be able to shoot the cannon anything.

Ive got a good collection of cans. I go with a local dealer in silencer shop network. Thunder beast ultra 7 is my favorite 30 cal can, yhm is my favorite budget can (resonator k, turbo k) rimfire can is the most fun. Would start with a 30 cal and a rimfire on a single shot trust. If you think you might buy more (you will) do the lifetime single shot.

Also double check desired barrel length in the cartridge you wish to shoot… ex: TB Dominus that I ordered is not rated for 22" barreled 300 Norma I had an idea to build, whereas the ultra 7,9etc… does work
That's odd on the Dominus, because it has a shorter barrel rating for most other calibers vs the Ultra series. But it's listed that way on their website 🤷‍♂️

Look a tad closer at the barrel ratings. Per clarification emails with TB.

Attachments

• 2A892353-2DCC-416B-B70A-C25BBAA16EB5.jpeg
    2A892353-2DCC-416B-B70A-C25BBAA16EB5.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 9BB8D63C-1934-4E4D-BCE6-5764AE8E420F.jpeg
    9BB8D63C-1934-4E4D-BCE6-5764AE8E420F.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 64