• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Where to look

BigSwede

What frustrating to me is that there are no stores that carry any "high end" glass to look through or at. If I'm expected to spend 1500-3500$ on a scope I sure want to look first. Any suggestions from those in the know?

I make it a point to look at and thru anyone's new scopes at the range. Most shooters will be glad to oblige you. Really knowledgeable shooters will give you there pros & cons after they've had some time on it. That's where I first got to view March, S&B and several other high-end scopes.

Most of the online dealers offer 30 day returns, for unused and like new condition. If I were doing more than kicking tires and had a couple scopes I was zeroing in on, I would order one of each and return the one I didn't like. I would not mount it or take it outside. It is kinda what you have to do these days. The dealers understand this and expect it, or they wouldn't offer it.

Dok's idea is a good one, but I just don't often see anything higher than NSX where I shoot and you can see those at Cabelas.

Goto a big national shoot in the type of event that has the style your looking for. Sitting in a store is no way to judge glass. Look at a target/plate in a shadow for depth of field in daylight not florescent/led light. I shot in the FITASC event long ago. They had all kinds of not only shotgun stuff but anything that went bang or helped you make it go bang better. The PRS series would be good for tactical type glass. F-Class for that type glass Sportsman shows with higher end/Larger venue type events. Out side of that I see a few NF a bunch of lesser Leopolds and typical 3-9stuff at various ranges. Some of the egg shoots will have the benchrest glass. When I would show up to shoot some rifles for groups for the final out the door I would bring 8-80 March 8-32NF 7-35NF and acouple others. Mostly to show other shooters. I shot most all of them on 10-15. However most that would look through these would be down to look/purchase if they had the means.

What frustrating to me is that there are no stores that carry any "high end" glass to look through or at. If I'm expected to spend 1500-3500$ on a scope I sure want to look first. Any suggestions from those in the know?
That's exactly why some of us have so much for sale on here so often. Theres nowhere anywhere remotely close to me where I can see half the items I have an interest in so I usually have to buy blind.