where is your "sweet spot" for bullet seating/30 cal

30-06 boy

where is your \"sweet spot\" for bullet seating/30 cal

i've been loading for a 30-06 and have been seating my bullets .005 off lands.168mk,180mk,178 amax.the next step is to adjust bullet seating depth.in your gun/guns(any 30 caliber) where is your sweet spot for seating?and what bullet?.010,.020,.030??thanks

Re: where is your \"sweet spot\" for bullet seating/30 cal

I have found that all of my personal 308's and 300 mags like the bullet seated into the lands for best accuracy , it tends to call for the load to be reduced a little bit but for accuracy sake thats ok ,and most of them will not feed from the mag ,I have a 308Win built on a Rem700 long action that I seat 210gr Bergers to touch the lands and it'll feed from the mag.
I had an old Weatherby mkV that shot great and the factory ammo was like a full .200" from the lands

Depends on the bullet
SMK's .12 off or about not too picky

NBT's .10-.15 off didn't like to be on in my rifles

A-Max in or touching

.012 off the lands for most of my 30 cals and .025 with the Barnes Triple Shocks which by the way are a deadly accurate Bullet, Accubonds turned out to also be deadly accurate for me. I found going tighter than .012 or so increased fliers. Also improved accuracy by glass bedding the action(actualy a pretty easy winter project if you have a little patients) and part of the barrel shank and tuning the action screws. Tuning action screws? What the F***? Well believe it or not you can turn a 1/2 inch gun into a 1 1/2 inch gun by f***ing with the screws that hold the action to the stock(I know this because I did it once). In my case I found that the forward action screw should be almost 2X as tight as the rear screw(the screw closest to the recoil pad)and the rear screw should be just barely snug, both lock tighted. Each one of these things wont make a 1/4 inch gun out of your rifle by themselves but all of them together can(I have done this a number of times) Good luck on your Quest for accuracy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Ken

Across twelve .308 Win. barrels, four .30-.338 Win. Mag barrels and a .30-06 clunker barrel, best accuracy was with the bullet seated into the lands. Especially if bullet runout in loaded rounds is a bit much.

However, if bullet runout on loaded rounds is very, very good (no more than .001-inch with the dial indicator .600-inch in front of the case mouth where the bullet's rested), they can jump around 2/10ths of an inch and accuracy is great. That's because the firing pin drives a rimless bottleneck case all the way forward such that its shoulder centers in the chamber shoulder so the bullet gets a straight start into the rifling. Some folks get 1/2 MOA accuracy at 600 yards with very straight loaded rounds shooting the bullet almost 1/4th inch into the rifling.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.