Whats your best shot?

BH107, that looks just like a spot I hunted often years ago up dissapointment creek.

My best shot this week was an elk over 1000 yards with the new Mcmillan Outdoosman 300 EOL Magnum. One shot and down cold barrel kill through the chest with a 180 grain C-21 cutting edge bullet .6 bc.

Best shot in November was a giant 10 point whitetail with the same rifle at 764 yards I think, 7 something anyway. One shot through the chest right at daylight with the same load and bullet.

Best shot in October was an antelope just under 1000 yards. He was a small target at long range and I hit him exactly where I aimed. I would say within an inch of where I tried to hit him. 338-378 weatherby with the 225 grain cutting edge bullet .64 bc at 3510 fps.

Last edited:
It was not my shot but I was there otherwise I would not have beleived it. Two friends and I were shooting prarie dogs on a very large town. One of my friends was having trouble with his zero on his 25-06 and as such was not hitting many. we relocated to a new area and found a mound literally coverd with pups. my buddy fired one round at around 150 yds and bodies flew everywhere. no more rounds were fired. we walked out to the mound and found SIX bodies for the one shot.

The covey shot philosophy works well with a 338-378 wby shooting the 300 SMK over 3000 fps. Not only will you kill all the ones on the mound you aim at but a few on the neighboring mounds. This rifle and the 50 BMG work well to get documented one mile kills. Hit within 3 feet and dead doggie from the shrapnel.

My favorite longrange shot is my first longrange shot at a groundhog. 810 yards. I was shooting a mostly factory Rem700 308 with a Bushnell 10x fixed power scope with no parallax adjustment on it.

At 810 yards the crosshairs covered up the 'hog completely. So I dialed the elevation, covered him up, squeezed the trigger and had to be told by my spotter that I got him.

Kinda' shooting blind.

Sounds Familiar :rolleyes:

Coyote at 749 meters with my 308 c3a1 topped with a 3.2-17 t-pal took 3 shoots but had just got in to the lrh thing and have since taken at 620 and 550 this year . Can't wait for the 338 edge and a little less doping than the 308 .

Maybe not best-but memorable. 1984 ish. I went on a Wyoming Antelope outing, good size group lots, of tags. Including a fellow that didn't shoot much, but had a rifle he felt sucked. Well give it to me, and I'll see you have plenty of cartridges, and it's actually sighted in if nothing else. A Ruger 77, fixed 4x whatever we had pre-Walmart, in .300 Winchester magnum. Actually shot very well-excellent with a little tinkering, and a 165 grain Sierra. Zeroed at 200 yards, and verified on arrival.
A couple of days in I'm glassing up behind camp at lunch, and hear a couple of shots from the opposite hillside including one that sounded like a hit. My brother was up on that side, so another friend and I grabbed a pack frame, and as it was handy this rifle. Well this little buck wasn't dead and pretty mobile on 3 legs. Send one guy to the vehicle to get out in front in case we couldn't catch up. We finally close to what I judge just shy of 400 yards, pre-rangefinder, and back when my mind could hold the numbers with out a cheat sheet. We both get prone no bipods or pack as the buck turns broadside , I say that's as good as it's gonna get.........nothing... buck's back on his bike hobbling up the hill full length of back, but level shot, again....nothing, you want help? yeah if you can-bang flop. Only it's not at the base of the neck, it's top of tail. Christ, well it's over. I keep playing the shot over in my mind. We get to camp and into lunch when it hits me, and I turn to the owner of the rifle and say you've tinkered with the sights. He says yeah I keep shooting over everything. He shot under everything for a day or so until he found one at the right range. The memorable part for me it was the time and place I had raised my end to when I called a shot like that I expected the equipment to back me up.

Mine had to be when I was groundhog hunting nearly 10 years ago and as I was glassing the fields a crow landed in a tree 1087 yds away. It was windy and I took my time to dial everything in, the tree that the crow was sitting in was backed up by a steep field so I could know where my bullet landed. I allowed for wind using a 264 with 120 Noslers, squeezed off and saw the impact of the bullet. I thought..holy cow I should have hit that because the ground exploded right behind it. I couldn't believe the crow was still in the tree, as I chambered another round I saw the crow fall out of the tree.
Now that was luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.