Whats the best practice caliber?

DIRT NAP

Hey guys I'm new here so hello to everyone I've been lurking for a few months but figured I'd jump in....I would like to start learning the basics of long range hunting but I figured I would set up a. 22 or a .17 to practice with bc I don't wanna spend a dollar a shot with a. 308 so my question is which of the two would be the better choice?

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

.308 win is an excellent choice caliber! .22 is the cheaper round for practice but the long range option will be seriously reduced.

ADDED:

Checkout this 400 yard shots ...

ADDED1:

500 yard shot @ 30" target ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Feenix... You didn't read his post. He don't want to practice with a 308 because of ammo cost (not that they cost that much.....)

I'd suggest a .223. Cheap ammo, very reloadable, excellent rifles available for reasonable prices and you can actually hunt game with one, unlike a 22 or a 17 that 'hunts' paper targets or pie plates.....

I've been shooting a .223 in benchrest comp for years.

Feenix... You didn't read his post. He don't want to practice with a 308 because of ammo cost (not that they cost that much.....)

I'd suggest a .223. Cheap ammo, very reloadable, excellent rifles available for reasonable prices and you can actually hunt game with one, unlike a 22 or a 17 that 'hunts' paper targets or pie plates.....

I've been shooting a .223 in benchrest comp for years.

Yes I did read it correctly! You might want to read my second sentence.lightbulb

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

.308 win is an excellent choice caliber! .22 is the cheaper round for practice but the long range option will be seriously reduced.

Seriously reduced (.22) is an understatement. Trying 200 with a .22 would be like lobbing a sabot 400 yards with a muzzleloader. Point it to the sky and hope....................:)

What goes up, must come down, the question is where??

Added....

Interesting vid. Of course we didn't see the paper after the shots......

I, for one, would have a hard time just seeing the punches.

I shoot my golf balls with my 22 at 200 yards almost every weekend. My hit ratio is about 30% using cheap Federal Bulk ammo and runs closer to 50% with Stingers. I just put my scope on 8x and the post puts me dead on at 200 with a 50 yard zero. I want to buy some different match ammo and see if i can increase my hit ratio.

A 17 will be way more accurate at 2-300 yards and can really give you some excellent practice when shooting in the wind. My first 17 would shoot just over MOA at 300 yards on a calm day but I had to learn the wind as even the slightest breeze blows those little bullets a long ways at 300.

I would reccomend a .22. With all that I shoot I still shoot tons of 22. It is just fun to shoot the 22's. I shoot my 10/22 as a warm up, or while my barrel is cooling off.

I also shoot my 22 match pistol constantly to keep good with a pistol.

As far as long range shooting I have Kentucky Windage style walked bullets into a metal gong at 425 Yards (Pueblo West Sportsmans Assoc) offhand but it was difficult as federal bulk ammo is not all that accurate. I shoot squirrels out to about 200 maybe on a great day 250 yards.

Id give away all of my rifles excluding my 10/22 just something special.

Nothing makes up for pulling the trigger, what better way than the 22.

For plain old practice, you can't beat pulling any trigger - shoot what's available and economical. But, for long range practice, my opinion is that a .22LR might be a little on the extreme side for someone wanting to get in to long range shooting. Something slightly bigger will give you much better results. I regularly shoot my .223 Rem at about 550 yards. Shooting a 40 grain Nosler ballistic tip and 550 yards in 10 mph wind is a definite eye opener.

I do think that one could reliably go out and shoot 2-300 for practice with a .17 hmr though.

This has got me thinking it's time to go shoot some squirrels! I better go now.
gun)

The 17 HMR was invented for one reason.

Prarie Doggin.

Find Your favorite Doggin spot and set up. Make sure you are about 150 Yards away from the colony. Put on Loud Western Music (You Know the Stuff that you hear during a dual). Aim for the chest, pull trigger. Mr Dog Will do a few spins grab the wound and fall over dead. Just like the movies.

Or You Could Pile up the Pups. Shoot a Pup, all the others run over to see what happened. You Can make a Mound. Momma Comes and she can be the Cake Topper :)

Am i disturbed?

I practice with a .308. It's accurate and let's me know when I've pulled. I'd recommend a .223 or .308 if you don't reload due to the ability to get match grade ammo. The 308 will also help you get used to the kick and get rid of your flinch.

Hey guys I'm new here so hello to everyone I've been lurking for a few months but figured I'd jump in....I would like to start learning the basics of long range hunting but I figured I would set up a. 22 or a .17 to practice with bc I don't wanna spend a dollar a shot with a. 308 so my question is which of the two would be the better choice?

Kinda depends on what you already have and how far you want to go with it?
If I had it to do all over again I would have bought the 77-22 or a CZ in 22lr al lot sooner. Haveing put a few thoudand rounds of 17HMR through the Savage I like the 17HMR but for me it outdoes the 22lr to 150 yards and then the 22lr just seams to hang in there a little better= more like a long range round.
I can reload 223s about as cheap as the 17HMR so the $17/500 22lr makes it a favorite.
If your gonna buy a 22lr or 17HMR try to set it up as close to a centerfire as posible in weight/balance and trigger with a scope you would use on a centerfire with enough travel to get out to 400 yards or a reticle that will help get there. It will help with the transition to a centerfire. The rimfires will help with your wind reading a lot if you shoot in it, most wait for calm condition when what your looking for is the experience shooting in real would wind conditions=The wind will frustrate the heck out of ya but its a great teacher.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.