What's the best factory load for wolf with a .223

Inukshuk

Inukjuak, Canadian Eastern Arctic 59 parallel
using a 1:9- & 1:8 twist in .223. The best I've found for hunting wolf was the 55 gr Ballistic Tip. Can't seem to find this in a heavier bullet. Are there any better options out there?
Oh forgot to mention that we want to keep the fur.

Last edited:
I`ve never shot a wolf but would guess that a 69 gn. hp might be better. It would give you better penitration. I use 55 gn. soft points on coyote with my AR and they leave some 3 to 4 in holes when when shot through the chest but from any other angle they usually do not exit. These should be pretty close to what your shooting now, and with the size of the wolf I`m thinking these bullets would be to lite.

i shoot 50 grainers btips and vmax at coyotes, but they sometimes leaves some big holes. not sure if they would make it through a wolf, so it might be better.

post pics of the wolves, love to see those things.................................dead.

.223 wolf loads

according to the new nosler manual the highest veloctiy for a 60 grain partition is with a LOT of benchmark or a LOT of h-4895. i would use a magnum small rifle primer . i have shot a lot of coyotes mostly with a .243. wolves are WAY bigger than a coyote. it is a dream of mine to call in and shoot a wolf. i would not take a .243 to shoot a wolf. i would use something bigger like a 6.5-284. i know a .243 would probably do it. because of the distance and expense of the trip i would not chance it. if you have good results with a 223 i would love to hear about it. roninflag

If all you have is a 223 then go with heavier thicker jacketed bullets. I had problems with my 223 and 50 vmax on yotes I with to a 243 AI.

I hate to say it but I have seen coyotes take a 7mmstw in the chest and run 50yrds before giving up the ghost. I have also shot numerus coyotes with 50gr. btips and watched them run away. Along with an 87gr. vmax out of a 243. Then I will say I was amazed when I curled a coyote up on a beach with a 40gr. vmax out of a 223. I think it mostly depends on the dog and how tuff he is. When I hunt the lowlands for coyotes I havent hardly had one run away then when I hunt them @4000ft and in 3ft of snow I have seen them take some major hits with everthing and watched them cover some serios ground.

I would try the 60gr. partition out of it and give it a try but then again that is just my expierence of coyotes.

You might try the Sierra 65 gr. Gameking bullet, I use it on fox and large feral dogs. You need a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist for this bullet, very accurate in my encore, Later.

I'm using Hornady TAP ammo(75gr TAP FPD)HPBT w/ a 0.395 BC. The gun is a Sabre Defence XR15A3 Heavy Bench Target rifle w/a 24" barrel 1:8 twist. Vel is 2700. This combo has proven very lethal on coyotes.gun)

If you want to stick with the .223 then look at the Federal premium loaded with the 60gr sierra gameking. your gonna have to fix anyholes in the pelt though. but for factory ammo it dont get anybetter then this.

I have shot a few coyots with a solid 55gr from winchester, all it did was put a small hole in and out the sides with a lung shot, they all dropped like a bad habbit. I did have a few run but they ran under 100yards. shot were out to 400yards.

I prefer to use my .243 loaded with 80gr SP's when I'm deliberately targeting wolves. However I wouldn't feel under gunned with my .223. I would probably use 75gr Amax's or BTHP's. They are tougher than the v-max in my experience and would get into the vitals.

I know this is a way old thread, but if it were my shot to take, I would want something a little bigger than a 223 to chase wolves. Now to answer your question, If I were confined to the .223, I would launch 80 grain bergers. This is assuming your barrel as the twist rate to make it fly strait.

Now if I am going to shoot my choice caliber, I would chase wolves with a .25-06 and launch 105 grain bergers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.