What weight bullet

nivlac1960

I have a Savage Varminter 223 with a 1-9 twist rate and 26" barrel. What would be the optimum bullet (weight, length and type) for coyote hunting? I would be shooting out to 300yds at the most? I have quite a bit of H335 powder on hand also.

Last edited:
300 yd coyote isn't terribly demanding. In that light, white box Winchester 45gr JHP loaded ammo is hard to beat for the money. You can't reload for what those sell for.

Optimum for me is what shoots good in my rifle. And, those get the job done in my 1:12 Steyr and 1:9 dpms which I don't bother to load for.

However, with a 1:9 twist, you should be able to move up to 65-70 gr bullets and develop some pretty decent handloads.

If by "optimum" you mean distance/accuracy, then target bullets will kill coyotes...

Berger 70 gr Match VLD Target
Lapua 69 gr Scenar
69 gr SMK
Hornady 68 gr BTHP

-- richard

I would go with the 55 or 60 gr Hornady V-max with your H335. For out to 300 the 55 gr is fine but longer ranges I would go with the 60.

I just reloaded Hornady 68gr BTHP Match and Nosler 69gr HPBT Custom Competition bullets over 23-24.5grs of H-335 powder. I will be checking for best groups shortly.

55's are common, but with a 1:9 I would use something in the high 60's or low 70's

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.