What weapon better to hunt hog

I have taken hogs with 357 Mag, 357 Sig, both 44 Spl & Mag, 22 LR, 223, 243, 30-30, 308, 7.62x39, 7.62x45, 7x57 and probably a cpl other rifle calibers I can't recall just now. They're not THAT hard to kill w/accurate shot placement.

Guys, my brother has an AR-15 Bushmaster "Varminter", decent gun over 200 yards or so, could I get some pigs with it?

I would bring my 30-06 for backup, big pigs and head shots.

Outerspace, Accuracy is the word. Neck and ear hole shots are preferred if you want to drop them immediately. 30 cal for shoulder, neck, and ear. You don't want to stun them or just wound them because a large sow or boar will get you quick. Shoot straight and fast to get as many as you can.

Good Luck

Thanks 21buck. I thought the semi auto feature on that AR may be of some use.

I am wondering why a neck shot is good. Also, would you not target the pumpstation (heart and lungs) like other animals?

Some hogs, not all, have scar tissue which forms a type of armour plate over the shoulder. It takes serious penetration to bust through it for a good heart / lung shot.

Shoot any hog right behind the ear and it will drop like a rock. Breaks the spine.

I would not count on the semi-auto AR-15 feature if you are on the ground in the woods, some hogs can take quite a few before going down ....

Appreciate the info. I am starting to think these buggers may be best hunted from a stand. I don't like the idea of being charged.

Outerspace,
a large boar can absorb a lot of bullet. i.e. 7mmmag 175 partition at less than a hundred yards took a shoulder shot that did not go thru, rather the boar charged in the direction of my stand and circled and died about 75 yards from where it was shot. The 7mm mag did not knock it down. It had a shield of 1.50" and 3.5" of razor tusks.
Be careful, the first shot counts the most. After that shoot as straight as possible at good targets.

Good Luck

I would like to hear any VLD that has failed to pierce the armor at entrance less than 300 yards. These bullets go through steel. For example a 7mm rem mag 168vld @ 3050fps goes right through 1/2" steel plate at 300 yards where the competitors hunting bullets I know of can't do that. Then once the VLDs delayed expansion starts to open up, they are like A-maxs, just violent expansion and sometimes doesn't allow the vld to do a complete pass through.

So three things hunters reasonably don't like about VLD- one its doesn't consistently passthrough, two is the gun just won't shoot 'em accurately even after load development and three is overkill (too much damage) compared to other competing hunting bullets which is up to the hunter.

Theodore, I've had a barnes 120 x bullet, 7mm wsm whistle thru both shoulders and keep on going. Expansion was 1.25" or less on a 500# boar. Neck and ear holes anchor them on the spot. Undergunned is not a good feeling when hog hunting. Using 25-06 up and into the 30 cal with a medium size good hunting bullet and accurately placed will certainly do a creditable job. Ballistic tip type bullets except for bonded bullets are not acceptable should you have to place it thru the shoulder or armor plate. You will get lucky , why not be sure.

my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.