What to use instead of Varget?

Jason,

You get a 308?

RL15, VV N540, H4895, IMR4064, IMR4320, BENCHMARK are all great 308 powders. Faster lots of H4350 work very well too.

I'll call you tomorrow.

My neighbor shoots Varget in his .308 and has been on the hunt for awhile. I believe my next rifle after the one I'm having built now will be a .308 though!
I look forward hearing from you.

Nosler 168gr Custom Comp, 44.0gr Varget, Lapua brass, and Fed 210 primers.....Shoots insanely out of my 5R .308 w/ the 11.25" twist.

I started out loading imr4320 in 223 years ago and really liked it.26 grains and a 50 grain v-max has killed a lot of prairie dogs.

I am leaning toward H335, mainly because I can get it. Anyone have any experience loading H335 in 223 with 70gr to 75 gr bullets?

-Mudrunner What velocities you seeing with that load?

I just happened to stumble across 4 lbs of VARGET today when walking thru.......of all places.... Walmart. the guy said that it just came in and was just put on the shelf. I snatched it up quickly. I have been lucking out lately with inadvertently stumbling across components. Persistence is a definite to finding stuff and being at the right place at the right time. I have come across certain hard to find Bergers that are coming in one or two boxes at a time, found some Hornady bullets that came in on a small shipment, got a tip on .308 Lapua brass from a fellow LRH.com member that a Cabelas store had a few boxes on the shelf and had to call the store directly and purchase over the phone and have shipped, and just happens that a local shop has the holy grail.... CCI BR2's he literally has cases of them and selling for $54 per 1000.

Be persistant.

Not sure....I don't have a chronograph. I plan on getting one soon, though.

I wish my local store would get some Varget in.

Yeah, I have been lucking up on some of the Bergers, but others, not so much...

Everyone is sold out of Berger 168 VLD Hunting Match bullets....My local store has like 8-10 boxes sitting on the shelf. so I picked up a box, and I will probably go back and pick up another box of them this Friday.

A few places have Berger 180gr VLD Hunting Match bullets....My local place has none. They just have the 180gr VLD Target Match bullets, so I picked up 2 boxes of those.

I'm only getting lucky on a couple things.

For example....I need some new STW brass....Can't find any anywhere, except for Remington, and I hate Remington ammo and components.

Ramshot Tac will work great in your .223 with the heavies (what I bought to replace Varget) & the .308 with 168 & 175 grainers.

t

How is the Ramshot TAC for temp sensitivity?

The Hogdgon CFE 223 is not listed as one of their "Extreme" powders, making me think that it would be temperature sensitive. I know that the load data looks awesome for it and looks to be producing some blistering velocities.

The Hogdgon CFE 223 is not listed as one of their "Extreme" powders, making me think that it would be temperature sensitive. I know that the load data looks awesome for it and looks to be producing some blistering velocities.

I might not be the most reliable source for temp sensitivity. In texas we only have hot and slightly hotter.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.