What to buy to try out

bigrich954rr

Ok never though i would buy this type of hand gun but i want to try it out. Is there only 2 brands out there remington and savage. which is better? If i like the handgun it will be sent to kirby to be done up. whats a good round to go with.

In bolt pistols you have several options. Remmy's center-grip XP (single-shot), & the rear grip XP-100R (Model 7 action). Savage Striker, H-S Precision makes a bolt pistol also and I think Nesika does also.
My preference is the single-shot center grip XP's
Cartridge-Just depends on what yo want to use it for.
Kirby will do a god job for you.

I prefer the center grip guns (Rem or HS). As far as what cartridge, XP is correct, depends on what you want to do with it. A good start is something in the 308 case or 284 case line, (260,7mm-08, 308) or 6x284, 6.5x284 or the 284 win). with the HS the custom work is all but done for you , you can find some Rem. out there that are already customized, (but not many). These guns are a blast to shoot and many (most) of them will out shoot rifles.
good luck in your search
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

i found a savage 510 cal 260 for $400 with scope. would this be a good base to work on. this is the only one i ever got to handle cant find any others around to shoot or pick up so its hard to know what i would like.

the striker would be great gun to start with. trigger may be a little stiff but that can be worked on. the 260 is an excellent caliber, are you going to be reloading it?
if so several of us have info that we can get to you.
good luck with your new toy if you get it. I think you will like this new adventure. it can be addicting
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds like a good price, depending on what kind of scope/base/rings it has. I know some folks who would snatch that up for that price even if it didn't have a scope on it.
like the 260 rem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

will be going back soon to buy it. i think the grip was just a little to big in spots i should be able to grind it down a little and just paint it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.