What the heck?

Mike you have to remember that probably over 90% of the guys on the other forums are barely capable of shooting a 4 inch group off a bench at 100 yards; so to them the thought of even attempting something you did is IMPOSSIBLE. In their minds it is unethical because for them it would be!

When my local range finally built a 300 yard setup it was amazing how many people who had shot deer "at 4-500 yards" couldn't even hit a 3 foot square piece of steel from a bench rest.

We all know you put the time into getting ready for your hunt and you were obviously more than capable of making the shot. I loved reading your story and can't wait till I have a set up that will let me make it into the next level of long ranging.

This is so true. I have heard similar tall tales. The truth reveals itself on the bench shooting paper. Just the other day, a guy told me a story about a whitetail buck he shot off hand, 450 yards and running. Said he shot 4 rounds before he went down and when he got up to the deer he hit him all 4 times. Then he shot the target with the same gun about a dozen times and the group was literally from edge to edge of the 8.5x11" sheet of paper. One didn't even hit the paper, and we were shooting at 100 yards.

Mike,

I just now saw the original post due to you posting the link.

Sorry I'm 2 months late, but Congratulations! Looks like a real nice buck too. Great shot:)

How often do you shoot that gun at 1000 yds?
What kind of 3 shot groups do you get at 1000?
Are you thinking of trying a different bullet since the SMK didn't expand much?
My guess is that he's at least 14", maybe 15" tall..??

I've got a "new to me" 338 AX, still fireforming brass and have only put it on paper at 100 and 400 yds so far. Just kinda curious what kind of performance I might be able to expect or strive toward, once I get it on paper way out there.

Mike,

I just now saw the original post due to you posting the link.

Sorry I'm 2 months late, but Congratulations! Looks like a real nice buck too. Great shot:)

How often do you shoot that gun at 1000 yds?
What kind of 3 shot groups do you get at 1000?
Are you thinking of trying a different bullet since the SMK didn't expand much?
My guess is that he's at least 14", maybe 15" tall..??

I've got a "new to me" 338 AX, still fireforming brass and have only put it on paper at 100 and 400 yds so far. Just kinda curious what kind of performance I might be able to expect or strive toward, once I get it on paper way out there.
Bruce,

I shoot at 1000 as often as I can, but I dont have a range so I have to set it all up every time I want to shoot and it takes a while, but I try to a couple times a month at least. my best group at 1000 with 3 shots is about 3 inches, I didnt actually measure it because I would like to shoot a 5 shot on paper. I have considered trying another bullet but this one shoots so well its hard to abandon it. I only hit soft flesh so I am not too suprised it didnt open up much. I have to say the SMK does not have any qualities I look for in a hunting bullet. But it works because there is so much lead there its overkill in most cases so it works well. Not a lot of weight retention. I shot a muley buck at 675 2 weeks ago and the exits was the size of a nickle but there was a 50 grain chunk of copper left behind under the hide. and a month ago I shot a cow elk at 43 yards with it and its didnt blow up like I expected it exited the size of a quarter but also left a 50 grain chunk of copper in the hide. I have multiple 200-500 yard shots on deer and antelope and it blows huge holes... so the jury is still out on how I like it for hunting. so far everything has been hammered with one shot. my second choice bullet is the 265 LRX

the goat measures 14.5 tall, not too big but decent for a type 2 tag

Congratulations on a great shot and a nice speed goat too! Forget those other sites. You and others here on this site are more likely to make a good first round hit on a critter at 1000 yards than most of those idiots are at 200 yards. They don't get, won't get it so why bother with them. A big thanks to Len for keeping those "holier than thou" idiots off this site.

Good Shootin, Nice Goat. I get a kick out of some of the complainers. I often egg it on hoping to make one of them have a coronary or explode their heads. Over at SH in the beyond 1K forum there is a post about a 1475 sambar that has a couple of guys ready to snap.......I have been egging it on for a while now. Maybe it is not nice, but sure is fun.

Mike well done on your excellent shot.

I know how you feel. You are please with your shot and post it on a forum for others to share in. Then the knockers come out of the wood work and hang it on you. Its just not right.

I posted a video clip of a deer that I shot at long range on the "Hide". Now most of the shooters there are excellent people and said well done. But a small few took it upon thenself to hang it on me for taking such a long shot.

That thread is now up to about 295 posts and the knockers just keep on pushing their views on other people.

I just don't reply to their bad manners.

If they have a view then that is fine but they should start a new thread on the issue and discuss it there.

Mike well done on your excellent shot.

I know how you feel. You are please with your shot and post it on a forum for others to share in. Then the knockers come out of the wood work and hang it on you. Its just not right.

I posted a video clip of a deer that I shot at long range on the "Hide". Now most of the shooters there are excellent people and said well done. But a small few took it upon thenself to hang it on me for taking such a long shot.

That thread is now up to about 295 posts and the knockers just keep on pushing their views on other people.

I just don't reply to their bad manners.

If they have a view then that is fine but they should start a new thread on the issue and discuss it there.

The worst part is that the most vocal one has a total of one twenty shot string at 1100 yards with a 308 as his resume for long range shooting. He does not have a clue. He started lying when I started giving him hell about shooting over bait.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.