What the heck is goin on?

Jerry ,

Thaanks !, once again you have taken muddy water and strained out the dirt.I value your down to earth approach as well as your quiet confidence.

Thanks again , Jim B.

"Just input my data G7 drag function. 0.625 BC and voila"

I know it doesn't help, but you can pretty much throw out a G7 BC of .625 for a 162 A-max. It just isn't so. The whole world would be shooting them!!!

Maybe ~.330

mike, there used to be a time the earth was flat too :)

All I can report is what I see. The scope has been checked several times and is repeating properly. Take my data and insert them into any ballistics program you want. Play with any G profile you want. Assume some degree of error and reduce the results. I still bet the G1 BC you get is outrageous. So is getting to 940yds in 17min of elevation adjustment. That was just verified this morning.

This is not the first time that these "interesting" results have occured.

The other time was with 6.5 140gr SST. I should rerun the data using a G7 profile. Might make a lot more sense.

Well, many shoot one brand or another. Doesn't make all other brands bad or obsolete. Bottom line - launch them and see what you get in your barrels. Might just surprise you.

The poly tipped bullets do reduce drag over an exposed HP. A secant ogive does have aero benefits. These two points have been proven before by someone much smarter then I.

In the target shooting world, a mass produced bullets is rarely taken seriously. However, several amax bullets now hold world records. You can't change those results either.

More shooters might just shoot these bullets if they just gave them a try instead of 'believing' in their failure. I have yet to shoot another hunting or mass produced bullet that was as consistently accurate as the line of Hornady poly tipped bullets.

The real world has a nasty habit of disagreeing with lab 'facts' or fancy trends...

Jerry

jimm and 7mmRemmagman, thanks for the kind comments. They are appreciated. We are all here because we enjoy pushing the edges of our shooting technolgy. Advancements rarely happen unless established 'facts' are challenged.

If you think the BC of these Amax is high, try and find some first gen Amax bullets. I just found a few 162gr 7mm Amax National Match. They are much longer and should have an even higher BC. Pity they changed that design.\

Contact Hornady and ask them to bring back these bullets.

Jerry

[ QUOTE ]
jimm and 7mmRemmagman, thanks for the kind comments. They are appreciated. We are all here because we enjoy pushing the edges of our shooting technolgy. Advancements rarely happen unless established 'facts' are challenged.

If you think the BC of these Amax is high, try and find some first gen Amax bullets. I just found a few 162gr 7mm Amax National Match. They are much longer and should have an even higher BC. Pity they changed that design.\

Contact Hornady and ask them to bring back these bullets.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry -- have tried to get the old 140 back -- dont think it will happen -- Dam! they are slick bullets!!

BTW -- a bud just shot new amax side by side to 1K with 140 bergers and the amax dropped like rocks in comparison at the same speed.

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jerry
Can you report your shooting conditions, scope height, and zero setting? Things like altitude, temp. Scope type(1st/2nd focal plane)? like is it's adjustmentsin inches/100yds, or 1/4MOA, etc? Any bias angle in the bases?
What parameters have you loaded into JBMs, and how did you arrive at 17minutes?
Thanks

JB, ask him to shoot some 140gr SST's instead. The old 6.5 Amax was a great bullet. Not so happy with the new gen. They have made them way less aero. They need to bring back those old designs. The new SST shares the old Amax profile. Length is 1.40". Very accurate too.

Mikecr, reread my past posts. All the data you need is right in there from scope to conditions to computer assumptions. I am only a few thousand feet above sea level so ambient conditions will not change your results worth a spit.

Factory Savage rifle with good old weaver bases and Burris Sig Zee rings w/inserts (high height). Elite 4200 6X24 scope. Nothing fancy here and pretty standard set up.

Fiddle with all that data. Change assumptions, whatever. It will not agree with G1 profile. Believe me, I have spent the time on the computer. The G7 profile matches the field data to a T.

Have fun...

Jerry

Jerry -- got a pic of the SST v new 140amax?? I thought they were the same profile cept the boattail length and cannulure???

PIc pleeeeeease, or send me a bullet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

JB

Email me at [email protected]

So i can get your address to send you a bullet.

I just got my 260 back but before i had it worked on The SST flew flatter than the 139 Scenars for me also. I didn't see the effects of what Jerry is getting(he was i believe pushing them 2900fps+ and i was at 2730) but they did shoot higher at a 1000 for me than the scenars at the same speed.

JB, no can do on the comparo pic as I never bought the new gen AMax. Had one look at them and lost interest. The SST measure 1.40".

Hornady has different profiles for the Amax and SST even in the same bullet weight. Like two departments designed the bullets. Two departments that only on occasion, share the good stuff. Silly....

Buy some, shoot some, I bet you like them.

Jerry

Jason

got it and will get them in the mail.I should be getting some 135gr 6.5 wildcat bullets soon and send ya a couple too.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.