What the devil is this thing?

13082508-0486-4BE6-AF09-3EBD4B0F2690.png 691F7CF9-BC0C-44E2-B695-E71FC8D8A352.jpeg
Maybe something similar. 7.62x25 so the specs seem to be close and uses a shotgun primer. Not sure how that compares to a .22LR as I don't reload shotgun rounds. It's made to shoot blanks so no rifling would make sense.

okay I just retrieved my 209 primers, a Remington 22 LR, a Winchester 22 Mag, and my calipers.
the 209 primer is 0.307"/0.308" at the rim, 0.243" at the body.
the 22 LR at the rim is 0.272", 0.224" at the body.
If the 22 Magnum will not fit, this precludes the 209 primer fitting as a 22 Mag has a 0.240" body and 0.284" rim.
this has to be a Thompson Contender sub caliber device for what I imagine is a 22 caliber with a case that is made from a 308 case. I am blanking on any of them except the Middlestead or the 22-250. neither looks like that adapter.

Heck i like that idea......be a lot more fun than pumping up pellets guns....be awesome practice too....

okay I just retrieved my 209 primers, a Remington 22 LR, a Winchester 22 Mag, and my calipers.
the 209 primer is 0.307"/0.308" at the rim, 0.243" at the body.
the 22 LR at the rim is 0.272", 0.224" at the body.
If the 22 Magnum will not fit, this precludes the 209 primer fitting as a 22 Mag has a 0.240" body and 0.284" rim.
this has to be a Thompson Contender sub caliber device for what I imagine is a 22 caliber with a case that is made from a 308 case. I am blanking on any of them except the Middlestead or the 22-250. neither looks like that adapter.

What about the Old (and I do mean Old 57 primers for remington cases from back in the 60's).
Body diam .229
Rim diam .305

Sure looks' like a subcaliber device of a centerfire .22 cal cartridge of unknown type from what I can see. I think you'd have to mice out the whole device before it could be identified for sure. If the device chamber a .22 LR then it pretty much going to be a .22 cal centerfire like the .22-250 it looks like a .473" Rim dia next to the .308 Win. It's hard to tell, is it Rimless or Semi-Rimmed?

Ok, sorry but I've been up to my eyeballs in honey doo's. So...
A 209 shotgun primer will not fit, nor would the old 57. Also would not work in a .30 Herrett since it's based on a 30-30 case. Have to be either a .308 or maybe a .243 both of which I think might be a tad uncomfortable in a Contender. The 30-30 is quite enough for me (although I shot a 45-70... once!

The diameter of the base end hole is .230, diameter of front exit is .220. However, looking with my scope there is nothing you might call a chamber.
OAL is 1.732"
The main body length is 1.202
minor body length is .510
Rim dia. .470
Inside rim dia. .328 (.22 lr fits perfectly)
Main body OD at base is .460, .452 at end
Minor body OD is .352, no taper.
Now get this... I bit the bullet (against my better judgement and just for you guys!) and put it my factory Rem. 788 .308 Win. It chambered and extracted just fine (whew!) in the .308 and .243. However! It would not chamber in my buddies factory Win. .22-250 (!). It would chamber, but NOT extract in my .270 and 30-06.

I'm really at a loss here. It can't (ok, I'm not 100% sure, I might give it a try tomorrow and find out for sure if it will set off a .22 LR) be a sub caliber conversion, since with what logic I have remaining intact, the bolt action FP shouldn't ignite the primer. It could be something for a nail set gun but again, why would they make the base the same dimensions as a .308 cartridge? I'm leaning towards the idea it could be a sub caliber conversion for a TC .308/.243/? since it has the rimfire pin built in. However, with no rifling at all, accuracy with what amounts to a 3/4" smooth barrel is going to be minute of earth... or worse! It could rattle down the barrel!

I sure wish someone had scraped something into it that said what it was!
Cheers,
crkckr
Ok, my curiosity was killing me so even at this late hour (my neighbors, such as they are, should be used to it) so I stuck a .22 in it gave it whirl. No go out of the .308 but even after beating the center in, it went off in my old Sears single shot. So it's definitely not a sub caliber conversion for a normal bolt gun. Dang! Beats the dog poo outta of me!

Last edited:
Ok, sorry but I've been up to my eyeballs in honey doo's. So...
A 209 shotgun primer will not fit, nor would the old 57. Also would not work in a .30 Herrett since it's based on a 30-30 case. Have to be either a .308 or maybe a .243 both of which I think might be a tad uncomfortable in a Contender. The 30-30 is quite enough for me (although I shot a 45-70... once!

The diameter of the base end hole is .230, diameter of front exit is .220. However, looking with my scope there is nothing you might call a chamber.
OAL is 1.732"
The main body length is 1.202
minor body length is .510
Rim dia. .470
Inside rim dia. .328 (.22 lr fits perfectly)
Main body OD at base is .460, .452 at end
Minor body OD is .352, no taper.
Now get this... I bit the bullet (against my better judgement and just for you guys!) and put it my factory Rem. 788 .308 Win. It chambered and extracted just fine (whew!) in the .308 and .243. However! It would not chamber in my buddies factory Win. .22-250 (!). It would chamber, but NOT extract in my .270 and 30-06.

I'm really at a loss here. It can't (ok, I'm not 100% sure, I might give it a try tomorrow and find out for sure if it will set off a .22 LR) be a sub caliber conversion, since with what logic I have remaining intact, the bolt action FP shouldn't ignite the primer. It could be something for a nail set gun but again, why would they make the base the same dimensions as a .308 cartridge? I'm leaning towards the idea it could be a sub caliber conversion for a TC .308/.243/? since it has the rimfire pin built in. However, with no rifling at all, accuracy with what amounts to a 3/4" smooth barrel is going to be minute of earth... or worse! It could rattle down the barrel!

I sure wish someone had scraped something into it that said what it was!
Cheers,
crkckr
Ok, my curiosity was killing me so even at this late hour (my neighbors, such as they are, should be used to it) so I stuck a .22 in it gave it whirl. No go out of the .308 but even after beating the center in, it went off in my old Sears single shot. So it's definitely not a sub caliber conversion for a normal bolt gun. Dang! Beats the dog poo outta of me!

Do you think you could fire a .22 cal RF "birdshot cartridge" in it? I also think the problem may be that you don't have the whole device. See the photo on the right

cartridges.jpg

Story here: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/4/3/cartridge-adapters/

Last edited:
It maybe worth sending all your measurements and photos to MCA Sports in Anchorage Alaska. Google shows a Facebook account for them and a website address. It really would be great to know for sure what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.