What should stop your firing pin?

Canadian Bushman

Just taking some measurments off an old rem bolt i have laying around, and questioned, is the primer the only thing the firing pin hits?

If there is no c'bore to limit pin protrusion, do you risk piercing primers?

If there is a c'bore to limit pin protrusion, does it alter vibrations when fired?

What if i face grooved the bolts ID and put and o-ring or plastic washer in there for the fp to hit? Would accuracy change?

Nice video. I've always wondered what stops the firing pin from protruding more than a few 10s of thousanths

If a bolt action rifles bolt and firing pin are tuned right, The firing pin should hit the dry fire stop and the bottom of the cocking cam at the same time. The cocking cam also is a stop for the firing pin. One way to feel this, Close the bolt on the rifle holding the trigger back. Then wiggle the bolt handle, If in the FIRED position the bolt is floppy before it catches the cocking cam the firing pin is hitting the dry fire stop first. The firing pin needs to be fitted to keep a snug fit on the cocking cam. If the bolt is not down solid in Battery (Fire) the bolt handle will move as the firing pin sear moves the bolt handle as it goes to the lowest place on the cocking cam. This can cause varied strike of the primer, and the moving of the bolt handle as the gun fires will cause movement of the rifle at the critical firing moment. These fits must be right before the firing pin length can be measured and set.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.