What rings and bases??

LEFTYM77

hey guys Just want to get your opinion on what rings and bases to buy for my new long(er) range rifle. it is a savage model 12 vlp 243 that a leupy VXIII 6.5-20X50LRT is going on top of. I have a membership to the 1000 yard range in my area, so that will be my ultimate goal. I was just planning on going with the standard leupold bases and rings for the 30mm tube. this scope has 90moa of ajustment so I think that should get me to a 1000 without a 20moa rail. if anyone has another opinion or better Idea let me know. I don't know much about b-square or burris rings and bases so enlighten me if there is something better....
cheers

Seekins or Badger, get your rings and bases from the same company. All bases demensions are not the same even though they are advertised as Mil-Std or pic-spec. The rings and bases from the different brands will not always mix and the problems caused by mis-matched rings and bases can cause a wide range of accuracy problems. Some of these combinations will appear to fit when in reality they do not. I have a base from Nesika that nothing will fit, it is now laying in my tool box and is used for a hammer from time to time.

I agree, same maker for both rings and bases is sound advice. You might want to also think about material and weight if you plan to carry your rifle a bunch. Talley also is known for its rings & bases. I think my next set will be a Talley quick detach model. Lots of folks run the Leupold Mk 4 rings, and several other well know brands out there, most any you pay more then $100 for should do you right. I ran the .243 on the exbal ballistics program with a Barns Solids 75 gr Solid, temp 59, altitude 0, fps 2600, Relitive humidity 78%, sight-in distance 100 yrds, sight above bore 1.5 in, and you get 1000yrds needing 56.50 MOA. With a 90 moa scope you will have 16.75 left up if you are centered at 45 moa when it is on the rifle. You might think about getting the 20moa base to give you more usable windage adjustment in the scope since you will be towards the top of the scope acr with a 0 moa base.

I just had two 375H&H's setup and I went with Talley QD base and rings. I really like them. I also purchased a Winchester Model 70 in 280 Rem this week. I used Talley's for that one too. They are strong.

I am not an expert, and don't know how the other guys here feel about them.... But, I prefer the Burris Signature series rings with the plastic inserts. The 30mm rings also come with the extra rings to give you 10-20 degrees of incline or horizontal adjustment. I use their steel weaver style bases and their ZEE rings. I have them on my custom 270wsm and it will hold about 1/2moa out to 400 yards, and about 3/4moa at 800. Haven't done much group testing past 800, but the scope/base combo seem to hold up well. The price is nice too. You should be able to pick up a full set of rings/bases for uner $60 easy.

Joel

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.