What Rifle scope would you sugjest?

Greg Duerr

Im getting closer to receiving my Custom Remington 700 .243 Ackley...........would appreciate any sugjestions for a Good Rifle scope....

Right now Im considering the Leupold V3 4.5x-14X Matt Duplex Its will be used mostly for Varmints like Marmonts and Jackrabbits.............but will also to used for Antelope and Mule Deer and who know's maybe an Elk in a pinch. Would the 6.5x-20x be any better??

I also need your imput and an understanding of AO on a rifle scope......is there a big importance to the AO as Leupold offers scopes with and with out them. What are the advantages and can you get by with out one............................Are they really necessary..?? Are they really important

Greg

Last edited:
Im getting closer to receiving my Custom Remington 700 .243 Ackley...........would appreciate any sugjestions for a Good Rifle scope....

Right now Im considering the Leupold V3 4.5x-14X Matt Duplex Its will be used mostly for Varmints like Marmonts and Jackrabbits.............but will also to used for Antelope and Mule Deer and who know's maybe an Elk in a pinch. Would the 6.5x-20x be any better??

I also need your imput and an understanding of AO on a rifle scope......is there a big importance to the AO as Leupold offers scopes with and with out them. What are the advantages and can you get by with out one............................Are they really necessary..?? Are they really important

Greg

First, the 4.5x14x50 is my favorite power range for hunting.(Low enough for running shots and high
enough for long shots. The 6.5 x 20 and higher are good for position shooting but to much for hunting
In my opinion.

Second the adjustable objective adjust the parallax out and the side focus does to but In my opinion
is easier to use and normally comes on 30mm tubes that have more elevation and windage.

If you buy an 8x or lower you normally don't need parallax adjustments. The 9+ power can use
the AO or SF feature.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with JE, but that caliber would be more of a varmint in my stable and I would lean toward a 20x, for speed goats and prairie muley, if more all around thenI would drop to 14x

Greg,
Either scope you mentioned will do very well. If you plan on doing alot of long range shooting go with the 6.5x20. On the 6.5x20 if you do much close range shooting or predator calling you can turn down to 6.5 and be fine. Good luck.
John

I have a few scopes that go up to 20-24X. I find that power really nice when developing loads, but when actually hunting; I find myself using something between 12 and 16 most of the time.

The exception is the really long shot when conditions are good for it. 20X can also sometimes double as a spotting scope if you don't have one with you. Downside is that they're usually longer heavier scopes than the ones that only go 14X.

Either way, I'd get the AO or SF, especially if it were for varmints.

Leupold's are good scopes. I've owned several, but way over priced for what you get. You're paying for the name IMO.
Zeiss Conquest, Votex PST, Sightron SIII, Super Sniper, and Trijicon accu-points give you much more bang for the buck, if you want to drop a grand, give or take on optics.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to head on out to the ranch, harvest my speed goat, muley & finish the day off with a coyote stand or weather pending wack some PD's.

I've got a fairly sizeable stable of toys to play with (+20) with ~half being bolt rifles w/optics. The power ranges vary from 1.5-5x on my 375 Ruger to 8.5-25x on my 6-284 & 338RUM. For the types of hunting I usually conduct (spot & stalk or ambush) I cannot recall a single type of scenario where I couldn't power down enough, but I do recall a couple pesky PD's just far enough out to necessitate a little more power, or that goat out there i'm trying to size up before taking the shot.

If you're hunting the thick woods a 6.5-20x isn't going to be ideal, if you're out here in the prairie with me a 3-9x isn't going to cut it either. Think about what your main intent is going to be, where it's going to be used & base your decision on that.

As far as parallax goes, i'm starting to prefer the side adjustment, seems MUCH easier to adjust while prone, but I have a few AO as well, both work just fine, depends on your type of shooting.

Good luck with your decision, the Leupy's catch a bad wrap sometimes & sometimes they deserve it. But when you're putting out 3-4x the amount of product, you're probably going to see more warranty claims, nature of the beast. It's feed back from us that helps them become better manufacturers, don't be afraid to pick up a Leupold just because it isn't the shiniest one in the case, in the small possibility you do have a problem it will be fixed immediately by the type of customer support most optics manfacturers only salivate about.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.