what powder should I use in my new barrel?

D.S.

In a week or two Im getting my rifle back w/ a new barrel on it (27" 8twist Lilja,.243winchester), and I have some questions:
-First Im going to try the 105grBergers, if Im not satisfied(from what Ive been told that shouldnt happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) then Ill try the 105Amax and 107SMK. Anyhow, what powder and primer should I try first w/ this barrel and these bullets.
-I mentioned the primer because on an earlier thread someone suggested using magnum primers in a.243AI to reduce E.S. w/slower burning powders
-Do any of you guys have some favoite loads for this caliber and twist of barrel, regardless of the bullet/brass/powder/primer combo.
--Id love to hear all of your thoughts, opinions, observations, and/or experiences regarding any aspect of my post. THanks a lot, Drew Stuart

I'm shooting the 105 amax out of a factory Savage w/ 44 gr H4350 and fed GM210M primer .020 into the lands. This is a top load so don't start there. I would back off to around 38-40 grains to start.

I'm shooting a 243 with a 26" 8 twist Rock Creek barrel using 44.3 grs of Re 22 with the 105 Amax, Win. brass, and Fed 210 primers. This load regularly shoots sub .5 moa groups with velocities in the 2960 range.

44.3 grs is .8 grs over Hornadys listed max but works in my rifle. I'd strongly suggest starting lower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.