What one?

longrangeshooter1

I can't decide what one I want I'm thing about a 257 weatherby vanguard with a great trigger for a vanguard no creep at all or a weatherby sub moa in 300 wsm has a little creep in trigger but can tolerate I'm wanting one of these for a cheap rifle to play with I have dies and all the reloading stuff for both calibers. It will be used for whitetail around 600 yards our deer go around 130 to 170 not very big and mite try it on some groundhogs but what gun do you guys think?

Timney makes triggers for the Weatherby, but I am not sure if it will fit the Sub Moa? Is that a version of the Vangaurd, if so I believe it would work. Best to call Timney though.

Yea it's a sub moa vanguard and I'm wanting to get one at my gun store so I don't have to wait lol he only has the sub moa in a 300 wsm and the normal vanguard in 257 weatherby

If the sub moa is the only one with an accuracy gaurantee, I'd wait if it were me.........??

I'd order the sub moa in what you want and order the timney trigger. If memory serves me correct, the timney for Weatherbys' adjust down to an "advertised" 1.5 lbs.

What caliber would be better for deer out to 600 maybe a little father ? I already have some 115 nosler bsllistic tip if I get the 257 wby and 175 smk for the 300 wsm if I go with it

The 257 will do it. I shot a Wyoming buck antelope with the 115 Ballistic tip at somewhere in the neighborhood of 550 yds (long time ago, before rangefinders and ballistic software, we paced it off) with my heavy barrel 25-06. He dropped like a ton of $h!t with a broadside double lung hit. I was suprised at the lack of reaction............I mean DRT and never moved after the drop!

Only thing is, I highly recommend you wait for broadside shot opportunity if you use the 25 cal, especially beyond 500 yds.

800 ft lbs energy on antelope to 1000 ft lbs of energy on deer is the magic number, the old "rule of thumb" if you will; but that's really kinda a minumum and is assuming the bullet is still going fast enough to expand and heavy enough to penetrate to the vitals. It also assumes the bullet will do what it's supposed to do, but the one you picked is a great choice for the long range shots.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.