What makes Lapua brass so desirable?

tlk

And is it worth the $$? What are the attributes that makes is worth $100 for 100? Trying to figure out why I should or should not go with WW or Remingtons. I want to go quality, but not buy unwisely.

Thanks.

Quality, consistency, strength, case life etc. etc. As far as I'm concerned they are worth every penny. You just can't get them for every chambering/round.ge(

If you don't look for the best in all of your components then you could probably get by with WW or Rem or whatever. The choice is up to you but even though brass is an expendable component that eventually wears out, it's one that can make or break you at times so why not spend a little up front and know you have the best?

It is so desirable b/c it is the best brass made. Lapua, like every other brand, has turned out a bad batch or two, however, it is the best brass overall and many would say Norma is as good or a close second.

Depending on caliber, it is not $1.00 each.

Consistency and quality are the best things about Lapua. Flash holes are cleaned and don't need to be reamed. Case neck thickness are very consistent as well (most I have measured have been a difference in 0.001") so brass doesn't have to be neck turned to be uniform in a no-neck turn chamber. Case walls are thick in the body where pressure is exerted. Most brass in annealed at the factory to provide a great case neck tension. Price is also great compared to other quality brass manufactures, where Norma charges about +50% more compared to Lapua brass and of about the same quality. I myself have gotten over 10 firings through my brass and it's still doing great, they should be annealed at or slightly before that point though.

It's the best priced and quality brass all around, you really can't go wrong with it.

The same thing that makes RWS brass so desireable. Closer manufacturing tolerances, tough case heads that allow higher pressures to be used compared to WW, Rem, or Fed brass prior to expanding and loosening up the primer pockets.

I think RWS brass is actually tougher than Lapua, and will purchase it preferentially over Lapua when I am able to.

Lapua brass is more consistent and uniform, case prep is minimal to non existent and case life is exceptional. I got 16 firings from a batch of .338 Lapua brass I was using. Primer pockets were still tight even though some of my loads had been pretty hot. I finally had to discard them b/c they had swelled slightly just above the web and F/L sizing would not allow them to chamber easily. If I had small base dies they may have still been useable.

I retired some .308 win. brass (also Lapua) after 25 firings.

If they were available in every caliber I would use nothing else. I have not tried RWS brass so cannot disagree that it might be as good or better but Lapua is the best I have used by a wide margin.

Norma brass is good but softer and will not last as long as Lapua.

Try some in one caliber and see if you like it. The price is the only thing not to like but it is well worth it.

Festus

Good question. I agree it's "worth it", but only IF you are getting groups under 3/4 MOA. If not, it's unlikely you will ever see any difference between Lapua and most RP/WW/Federal brass. I mean, it's good stuff but it's not going to improve your accuracy by an order of magnitude.

Good question. I agree it's "worth it", but only IF you are getting groups under 3/4 MOA. If not, it's unlikely you will ever see any difference between Lapua and most RP/WW/Federal brass. I mean, it's good stuff but it's not going to improve your accuracy by an order of magnitude.

Regardless of your accuracy, you'll be able to drive your bullets faster in Lapua or RWS brass than in the cheap stuff because the case heads on Lapua and RWS brass will not expand at higher load pressures that will expand the primer pockets on the Rem, Fed, Norma, and WW brass. Once the primer pocket expands to the point that new primers don't seal off the gases, the cases are throw-aways.

The reason Kirby Allen is using Lapua brass as the parent brass for some of his Allen Magnums is to eek out additional velocity performance from the tougher Lapua brass.

Last edited:
"The reason Kirby Allen is using Lapua brass as the parent brass for some of his Allen Magnums is to eek out additional velocity performance from the tougher Lapua brass."

Welll, I accept that. But working at such pressures to achieve minute increases in velocity aren't my cup of tea anyway so THAT side of the question is irrelivant to me. Different stokes .... :)

boomtube;235271Different stokes .... :)[/QUOTE said:
Roger that. I use them whenever possible as I cross over to the "wild side" every now and then myself. :D Helps keep the smoke out of my eyes and the eyebrows and eyelids intact.

im gonna be lookin for sum ....im sick of finding 3 cases out of 50 of the local stuff
that is not lop sided and why is it w-w gives u 49 cases that r usuable out of 50 .this is my third bag of 50 from them and there is 1 with a split neck in there ,,,,(whats up with that
W-W)...
i`d rather be shooting than sittin in my room turning and prepping brass..just my .03 cents
guess i shouldnt complain better then not havin any brass at all.....

Guys, thanks. Just got 150 from Brunos for just a little over $100 ($0.67 each) That is a fair deal.

OK, got the Lapua brass in. Compared it to some new Winchester I have in the same caliber. I have only done a visual inspection so far but it does show a difference (flash holes, shoulder consistency, length consitency, mouth concentricity).

Thanks for your help with this. I feel like I have gotten at least one more piece of the overall quality puzzle. Don't know that I would have bought the brass if I had not gotten your advice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.