What is wrong with the NIB 338 RUM?

J E CUSTOM, thanks :)

I have been shooting 185 grains @ 3150 which is very mild and bought some 280 grain bullets that I hope to push to around 3000 and was unsure of the need for a brake. It sounds like the answer is no. Thanks again.

edge.

Stock is falling rapidly on the NYSE and even faster for ballistic64 and gkprice.

Where're you guys really coming from?

Delivering tons of energy towards 1k yds with well under MOA consistency with recoil that a 115 pound kid can shoot all day, prone, what's not good about that? Huh! Duh!

GK, I do not care to offend you but this is the long range hunting forum and Len has the rules well documented that you must agree to for you to become a member. There are some of the best long range shooters in the world on this forum. You can learn quite a bit to better your skills and your knowledge if you just hang around for a while and learn the level of skill of the people you are communicating with. From your statements I see that you are not very knowledgable about cartridges or long range shooting. I suggest you sit back and learn a bit before you just jump right in there.

I have made several one shot kills just this year between 800-1200 yards. I took a tremendous 10 point whitetail yesterday morning at 768 yards, one shot again. There are some really good people on this site who have taken their skills to a level well beyond what the ordinary hunter can easily comprehend. However these guys are willing to help new guys on here be able to get into long range hunting. Just enjoy and appreciate that and follow the forum rules.

As far a the 338 RUM it is basically the same thing performance wise as the 338 Lapua and 338-300 RUM that goes by several names at several shops one of which is Edge. Either cartridge will do anything the other will with different barrels causing more fps difference than there is between the cartridges. The Lapua brass will take higher pressurs and because of this the 338 Lapua is a little faster than the other two if you want to push it.

I have an off the shelf 338 RUM Rem 700 that will take elk at 1000 yards. It is a very good rifle. I assure anyone there is nothing wrong with it and it is a very good choice for long range large big game.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.