What is the smallest caliber to legally hunt black bear with?

Anything that can kill and eat you demands respect. Close over bait I would like to try my 50 cal Pro Hunter ML. Further out my 300WM would be the one I would take.
I don't care if smaller is legal these are the ones for me!

I have shot bears with the 30-06, 35 and the .358 Winchester, I have a 45-70 but never had the opportunity to hunt with it. I've really had good results with Barnes bullets. I had a problem with the first bear that I took with a 30-06. It was a bad shot, had to track the bear about 60-70 yards. I like the 35s a lot. The 50 cal ought to do a good job, it's really nice to have that follow up shot though.

The smallest caliber rifle holds the 7th world record Grizzly Bear here in our Province. 22 rimfire at point blank range,,, I'm not sure if I'd try this. LOL

First Nations Gal named Bella Twin if I recall ,,, 1953 ish.

We chased lots of black bears in our area with 30/30 Winchesters and 303 British,,, I switched over to magnum cartrages after that,,, then switched back to 308 & 30/06,,, I like to have a little extra """Punch-Junk""" when nail them.

Shoot high in the shoulders with lead heavy up front,,, 180 or 200 gr semi pointed round noise.

Nothing worse then having to go to the buck brush """if""" A wounded bear flees that way,,, the hounds will circle around but even they are smart enough to not go in since a wounded bear is nothing to deal with.

Been there done that.

Good luck on your adventures,,, pop the bear and let the games begin,,, hopefully it's down before it reaches the bush line.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.