What is the smallest caliber to legally hunt black bear with?

Ya my kid shot a 6'er ,had him all set in bipod,think he was 15 and missed.Before I could say bo he jumps up and shoots him running away .So Dad get to go into the alder tangle after him,you could hear him in there,had boy stand guard on large root wad and set if get on me shoot em but Not me! And in future you get to recover your own messes PS same guy that spears them kills them with blow darts heh

God bless Idaho. The question is for elk, the answer applies to all big game.

73E6F032-7AA2-4B61-96E4-9C6B49842464.png

I don't know about small caliber to legally hunt black bear with but I know 30/06 and 165 grain bullet would be the smallest I would use.

22 mag In Maine

Hi Pa Grizz, I read your reply to the OP. I am not refuting your answer, just thought that Maine would have regulations with a higher caliber than the .22 mag.. Over the years I have bear hunted in Maine with a number of outfitters. I can tell you that there is not one of the outfitters/guides, who I have hunted with, that would ever let you hunt bear with them with a .22 mag.

What is the smallest caliber you can legally hunt black bear with?

Perhaps a better/different/more qualified question would be, "What caliber would you recommend for hunting black bear?" Inuits use 22lr and .223s to take polar bear, that doesn't make it a good caliber for taking bears; it just means that a hunter was fortunate to take the animal of that stature and still live to talk about it. And.......with a question of that nature you are going to find a lot of "opinions" when it gets answered. And.....that's when the fight started;):rolleyes:

Perhaps a better/different/more qualified question would be, "What caliber would you recommend for hunting black bear?" Inuits use 22lr and .223s to take polar bear, that doesn't make it a good caliber for taking bears; it just means that a hunter was fortunate to take the animal of that stature and still live to talk about it. And.......with a question of that nature you are going to find a lot of "opinions" when it gets answered. And.....that's when the fight started;):rolleyes:
I used to hunt bears with hounds, you don't need much when they are in a tree. Things can get a little hairy on the ground if ya got a bear that wants a go round. I guided a cat hunter who used an Encore pistol in .243 Win. And shot vmax bullets. A black bears brisket isn't very thick at all. I think this would work well for what I'm describing above. There are to many different ways to hunt them, to answere th3 question farely

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.