What have I done?

Creekrat

So after talking with a cousin of mine we came up with a brilliant idea.....2021 OTC Elk hunt. So of course we want to be ready and start preparations now because obviously we want, I mean NEED, new rifles for the occasion and want to have plenty of time behind the trigger beforehand and get our load workups done. For mine I am looking at putting together a 300 wm that will be chambered using @bigngreen specced reamer. For action I am considering the ARC Nucleus or the Bighorn Origin. As much as I would like and could justify a carbon barrel I think that is out of the cards for the moment seeing as we have a whole host of other gear we need to acquire before we make the pilgrimage. Barrel length will be somewhere right around 26" but I have yet to nail down a mfg or contour. My ultimate goal would be to be under 10lbs with optic and have a 1/4" Moa at 200-400 yards capable rifle. With the lead time on a lot of the bits and pieces I am looking to start acquiring parts here pretty quickly. As far as chambering goes I do have a friend that is local to me that builds custom target 22 rifles and has a full machine shop setup for this purpose. Him and I have tossed around the idea of doing the chambering ourselves but that is definitely not set in stone. This will be my first custom/semi-custom rifle so any insight, recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

So after talking with a cousin of mine we came up with a brilliant idea.....2021 OTC Elk hunt. So of course we want to be ready and start preparations now because obviously we want, I mean NEED, new rifles for the occasion and want to have plenty of time behind the trigger beforehand and get our load workups done. For mine I am looking at putting together a 300 wm that will be chambered using @bigngreen specced reamer. For action I am considering the ARC Nucleus or the Bighorn Origin. As much as I would like and could justify a carbon barrel I think that is out of the cards for the moment seeing as we have a whole host of other gear we need to acquire before we make the pilgrimage. Barrel length will be somewhere right around 26" but I have yet to nail down a mfg or contour. My ultimate goal would be to be under 10lbs with optic and have a 1/4" Moa at 200-400 yards capable rifle. With the lead time on a lot of the bits and pieces I am looking to start acquiring parts here pretty quickly. As far as chambering goes I do have a friend that is local to me that builds custom target 22 rifles and has a full machine shop setup for this purpose. Him and I have tossed around the idea of doing the chambering ourselves but that is definitely not set in stone. This will be my first custom/semi-custom rifle so any insight, recommendations or advice is greatly appreciated.

I always start with a budget as it is the primary driver of a build.

The 1/4 moa is a target so if I fall short that's ok but definitely looking to be as accurate as possible and I think 1/2 moa or better should readily obtainable

The 300 wm using Rhian's reamer is a good choice. I had one built for my son and he's loving it. 100 % on mule deer, elk and a slew of African game using 215 Berger and H-1000. Barrel is a 5R 26" Bartlein 3B contour bedded in a Manners EH-1.

For the accuracy you are wanting, I would suggest using a proven long range smith to chamber and bed the rifle. A bit more expensive, but well worth it.

The 1/4 moa is a target so if I fall short that's ok but definitely looking to be as accurate as possible and I think 1/2 moa or better should readily obtainable

I never said it was not possible, readily available is another story.

For the accuracy you are wanting, I would suggest using a proven long range smith to chamber and bed the rifle. A bit more expensive, but well worth it.

Exactly my point.

Last edited:
Lots of rifles that are capable of 1/4 moa accuracy will never see it. As mentioned you have to be able to make the ammo that will do that. If you can shoot 1/2 moa groups, you probably have a 1/4 moa rifle. You probably have 1/8 moa capable ammo ( or the other way around or split) and if your really good, your throwing another 1/8 in there because nobody is perfect. This is why its difficult to get anyone to guarantee anything better than 1/2 in a hunting rifle. A 1/4 minute rifle, usually puts 1/2 moa groups on paper.

A dream hunt deserves your best. If you want a Proof, buy a Proof. It is only an extra $300ish dollars. Don't skimp on your first custom rifle. Because you will always wonder how much more you would have liked upgrading it,. Then, your second custom rifle will get built better, and you will park your first in the safe to gather dust. Buy once, cry once.
Trust me. My first custom was built cheaper. Then upgraded. My second was better. Then upgraded. My third was better still. And then upgraded. Now, all my builds are top of the line right off the bat.

A dream hunt deserves your best. If you want a Proof, buy a Proof. It is only an extra $300ish dollars. Don't skimp on your first custom rifle. Because you will always wonder how much more you would have liked upgrading it,. Then, your second custom rifle will get built better, and you will park your first in the safe to gather dust. Buy once, cry once.
Trust me. My first custom was built cheaper. Then upgraded. My second was better. Then upgraded. My third was better still. And then upgraded. Now, all my builds are top of the line right off the bat.
That very concept can be applied to many things in life, its usually more expensive to be cheap.

Given your "need" for a bunch of gear, have you considered a trued Remington action with a Remage barrel. By most counts, they shoot rather well. This would leave you a bunch of cash for reloading dies and other necessities.
Even though I strive for 1/2 moa, 1 moa will kill to about as far as you want to shoot. Elk are rather big-and so is their kill zone.