What gun did you want that was never made ?

I had to think about this for a little bit……there's just not a lot of firearms that I feel like I've wanted but missed out on or didn't even exist.

But in the vein of the thread…..I have one.

A New Haven Model 70 Winchester African….. in Stainless Steel, quality synthetic stock, chambered in .458 Lott.

The cartridge Winchester should have offered in stead of the .458 WM! memtb
Winchester did make their Model 70 in 458 Lott, Custom Safari Express from 1999 til 2006. They were a bit over $3,000 bucks when the Cabela was selling standard Model 70's Super Express in 458 Win Mag for around $900 bucks, so probably cheaper to go that route and just have it chambered for 458 Lott, an extra 3/10 of an inch.

Last edited:
Winchester did make their Model 70 in 458 Lott, Custom Safari Express from 1999 til 2006. They were a bit over $3,000 bucks when the Cabela was selling standard Model 70's Super Express in 458 Win Mag for around $900 bucks, so probably cheaper to go that route and just have it chambered for 458 Lott, an extra 3/10 of an inch.

I guess that I slept through that……though I couldn't have afforded it at that price, especially when any competent smith could convert for a few hundred $.

It was not offered in SS was it? memtb

Last edited:
I guess that I slept through that……though I couldn't have afforded it at that price, especially when any competent smith could convert for a few hundred $.

They made a 375 H&H in SS/Syn. The custom shop made a small run of .416Rem in SS/Wood. I'm not aware of a run of the Lott's out of the Custom Shop, but, I'm sure they would've (and probably did) make 458 Lotts in the "Ultimate Classic" custom shop one-off rifles.

Have never seen one of those Safari Express 458 Lott with a stainless barrel, not sure if 4140 steel had a bit more safety factor, in that bore diameter.

Assuming, "Never made" means regular mass production:

Ruger Number 1 in .375 Winchester
Ruger Number 1 in .444 Marlin
Marlin lever in .360 Buckhammer
Marlin lever in .357 Maximum
Marlin lever in .414 Super Mag
.410 Jacked SP and HP in 230 - 250 grain.
Left hand SS Remington model 7
Then of course left handed everything they didn't make left handed.

I'm kind of high maintenance 😉
I'm curious why you would want a 375 Win ? I have a 375 Marlin and like it. Just because it's a lever gun. But as far as the cartridge itself it's not that impressive.

I agree, all but one of my Weatherbys over the years were wood the exception was a .257 Wby Mag Accumark.
The .224 Wby Mag and the .22-250 Rem Varmnitmasters were purchased at the same time and I asked Weatherby to do a hand-select for me, to get the stocks as close as possible, back then they'd do that for an extra fee of $50. I think the least impressive stock I received from Weatherby was their Lazer Mk V. also in .257 Wbty Mag.

View attachment 565986
I could kick my behind I could have bought one of the first wrathetbys made serial number 1010 a fn action 300 weatheby .They don't like I a Weatherby but it was smooth as silk .I asked about it on internet and some guy beat me to it .I won't do that again .I saw guys bring awesome looking Weatherby v with wood stocks abd totally ruin them. IT pays to have an extra fiberglass stock to take to Alaska.

IMG_5549.jpeg

One of these in a .454 Casull. They make it in .45 Colt, and make the pistols in up to .454, so why not a rifle in the same cartridge?

I had to think about this for a little bit……there's just not a lot of firearms that I feel like I've wanted but missed out on or didn't even exist.

But in the vein of the thread…..I have one.

A New Haven Model 70 Winchester African….. in Stainless Steel, quality synthetic stock, chambered in .458 Lott.

The cartridge Winchester should have offered in stead of the .458 WM! memtb
I wish o had bought that 358 STA I held in my hands .There were only 18 made .I tried to go back and get it but it was gone .