What do you use as a lightweight ground cloth in your floorless shelter?

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by Andy Backus, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor

What do you use for a lightweight ground cloth in your floorless shelter?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I cut down a hay tarp from a farm supply store. I then installed brass eyelets to line up with the ones in the bottom of the tent walls so I could stake them together.

Dry, and sweeps out easy.

jeff

3. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Same as Broz, but only where our sleeping cots are. The entry/stove/eating area we leave bare ground.

4. Andy Backus

Andy Backus Field Editor

Thanks guys. I was thinking more of ultra-light backpacking.

Anybody else?

5. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

A hunk of 6 mil plastic from home depot or a piece of Tyvek. I use it for the sleeping bag area only.

6. Tim in Washington

Tim in Washington Well-Known Member

Tyvek is all I've ever used

7. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

My sleeping system has a bivy cover on it no need for plastic, im sure you can find one for your system.

8. Idaho Sawyer

Idaho Sawyer Well-Known Member

I use nylon ripstop, (same stuff used on tent floors) I bought some in bulk, cut it a little bigger than me and my sleeping pad footprint. Super light, waterproof etc. I also use a piece when I am deboning critters on the hill to place meat on, to keep it clean. Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics in Caldwell has lots of colors and you can buy it online. or if you want to try some I'll sell my leftover material for cheap. I have way more than i can use.

9. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

+1 on Outdoor wilderness fabrics.
    Andy, I use tyvek. I've sewn the edges and added multiple loops so I can use it for a tarp also. Its great stuff and its cheap and very durable. I also use mine to lay quarters or meat on while you are field dressing. I also have a brooks range mountaineering ultralight guides tarp that I use sometimes.

Randy

10. 1SevenZero

1SevenZero Well-Known Member

Ripstop Nylon purchased from Joann's Fabric (local). It's not waterproof, but water resistant as it's a tightly woven synthetic material. I use a 3 layer gortex bivy sac as opposed to a tent.

If you purchase material from an online place I would recommend a silicone coated nylon. Light and waterproof. They have various thicknesses available to meet your weight/durability needs.

11. Mike 338

Mike 338 Well-Known Member

Any chance it fire treated?

12. Idaho Sawyer

Idaho Sawyer Well-Known Member

No it is not fire treated, just silicone treated. Like 1sevenzero there are different weights, as a rule of thumb, lighter for above you and heavier for below you.

13. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I use a cheap sheet of poly sheet from Harbor Fright, with grometed corners. Some items demand frugality. This is one.

14. RockChucker30

RockChucker30 Member

I use tyvek. There are a lot of stores online that will sell you custom cut sizes. Arrowhead Equipment does I think, and I know that Zpacks used to as well.