What do I really need????

mrb1982

My mind is boggled with rangefinders. Need some advice from experienced long range guys. I am working on aquiring equipment for long range hunting. I am looking at being able to shoot deer/elk at probably no more than 700yds. When it comes to a rangefinder, what do I need? Is one with 1000yds plenty for what I am looking for? Do I want to go with something that goes to 1200-1600 so I have a better chance of getting a good range at the shorter distance????? I would really like the opinion of some of the more experienced guys as far as what you like to have. Thanks.

My mind is boggled with rangefinders. Need some advice from experienced long range guys. I am working on aquiring equipment for long range hunting. I am looking at being able to shoot deer/elk at probably no more than 700yds. When it comes to a rangefinder, what do I need? Is one with 1000yds plenty for what I am looking for? Do I want to go with something that goes to 1200-1600 so I have a better chance of getting a good range at the shorter distance????? I would really like the opinion of some of the more experienced guys as far as what you like to have. Thanks.

My advice is to buy all you can afford and more than you think you need. This will help you to get the range you need easier and you will not out grow it so fast.

For what you descibed above, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF or a used Leica 1200 CRF -Y.

If you have a larger budget than those look at the Vectronix PLRF05 (Terripin) and be done with it for a very long time.

Jeff

My advice is to buy all you can afford and more than you think you need. This will help you to get the range you need easier and you will not out grow it so fast.

For what you descibed above, I would go with a Leica 1600 CRF or a used Leica 1200 CRF -Y.

If you have a larger budget than those look at the Vectronix PLRF05 (Terripin) and be done with it for a very long time.

Jeff

10X on Jeff...I got the CRF 1600.:D

I had a Leupold rx3 & really wasn't too impressed with it the whole time I had it, even before I started shooting LR. It seems like I gave about $400 for it. I bought a Leica LRF 1600 in January, & I think that it works how a rf should.... It's faster & easier to range with than the leupy. The only advantage I saw over the leica is the leupold is threaded for a tripod mount. The leica costs a lot more, but like any other optic, you get what you pay for IMO

Yeah, I had a buddy tell me the Leica is pretty much beyond most of the rest of them. I know someone getting rid of a used Leica 1200 for $375. Everything works great, just 2 small scratches on it, and not very old. Is that a good deal?????

I used a Leica 1200 for years, and was happy with it on groundhogs out to ~700yds.
But what I always wished for was a 1200 in binocular form. Just another 7x lens set & another inch wider would be perfect. But they just never did it(nobody did).

So I picked up a Leica 10x42 Geovid, and this has improved my hunting as far as spotting & ranging over the 1200.
It is bulky & heavy though.

+++++ Leica 1600!! I've wasted a lot of money on the Bushnell's and Nikon's that I ended up selling for a loss because they are not even in the same league as the Leica.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts