What Did This...Weird!

I'm getting on in years and haven't hunted in at least a decade (although I keep telling myself I will). My first thought was "that never happened in the old days!

It looks like coyotes. I had them eat a hindquarter and all the guts from a buck that ran into a swamp and died that I had to recover the next morning. All the other varmints like venison too.

Many years ago while deer hunting in Vermont my nephew shot a really, really nice buck. The deer was very big and it was very far back off the beaten trail, he knew that he was going to have to get help to drag the deer out. So he tagged the buck (tag signed and in the ear) and he came back to camp to get some help to drag the deer out. When we returned within a 2 1/2-3 hour time frame the animal was decimated; he had to have lunch. When we returned the only remains were some hair and the blood smeared snow and..... a lot of coyote tracks. We searched the area in hopes of finding the head with his tag and the rack, but never found the head either. His only trophy was a photo on his cell phone.

Where you are located, it was probably coyotes or/and hogs. But more likely coyotes because hogs make a huge mess around a kill.

J E CUSTOM

Around here (Central KY), the black headed buzzards will clean up most things in less than a day. Made the mistake of leaving a leather knife sheath on the ground next to a gut pile one evening. Next afternoon, gut pile AND the sheath were gone. Nothing left but a 5-6 ft circle of brown dirt.

Arrowed a buck once and it took me a day to find it. Nothing but the head left. Not even the ears. Coyotes

Where you are located, it was probably coyotes or/and hogs. But more likely coyotes because hogs make a huge mess around a kill.

J E CUSTOM
This was in Vermont where they have a "VERY healthy coyote population! It really doesn't matter where you are here on the east coast, the populations are very high and very destructive to the deer and moose populations.

Coyotes most likely got the majority of that deer. Bobcat or even a cougar (Mtn Lion) might have come along and ran the coyotes off, got a snack and covered it.
I've found covered remains of deer in Tom Green and Llano counties. The ones in Llano were cougar. Prints and sightings confirmed that. Tom Green, no idea which.

I spoke with a waitress at a place we eat at regularly to see if she had heard any reports of cats in the area (she always ask how the hunting is) but the guy at the next table over heard us and joined the conversation. He said the guys at the local feed store were talking about some sightings of Mountain Lions near the town of Comanche.

I was surprised because it is fairly populated because it's not but a couple hours from Dallas. The counties west of there would be a better choice for a big cat because the human population is smaller...

I know they adpat very well to populated areas in LA...so I guess one (cat) could dodge people here in Texas just as easily.

Short setup before the picture...

I found a WT buck that I had seen on game camera a month n half ago. I wanted to keep the "horns" so I wired them to a tree two weeks ago. The deer had not been dead lng after I found it 12 hours...I think tops!

View attachment 116830 View attachment 116830

This picture is a little harder to see, but shows the scene of the crime better.

Comanche County Texas
It looks to me like a cougar or a bear. Due to them wanting to bury it but probably a cougar because it was licked clean. Bears tend to chew a bit more. Cougars will rip out bits of fur but bears can strip the hide off in pieces. Was there any evidence of hide pieces? I have studied my bone piles and try to put the piles where it is easy to see the tracks too. Up in BC we get all kinds of critters eating the bone piles.

If not cougar..or el chupracabra........jaguars have been documented moving up from mexico........saw pictures once..really dark haired cat..still see all the blotchy spots on him to......cool critter....

Great, now the Guatemalans are bringing jaguars?! Maybe we don't need a wall, we already have a moat. Maybe it should be a fiery moat, I mean come on...Jaguars?! As if Mexican Mafia, MS 13, cartels, IEDs targeting Border Patrol agents, and the Mexican Army aren't big enough threats. o_O

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.