What could be my deal? 7 PRC accuracy issues with handloads?

Howdy, I went through a similar experience with 175. Very frustrating.
Factory shot fine. I ended up with my old favorite 7Rm combo, 160 Nosler BT.
Using CCI250, N-560 settled on 3100fps.
3 shot clover leaf 100yrd.
Might look at a different combo.
N-560 & 565 works good.

Last edited:
This is what I would do. I'd trim and chamfer like I said before. If that doesn't help I'd load off the lands .020" and continue off the lands increasing .010" at a time.

Just to better understand what might be at issue; I'd test again with the factory 175 ammo. If it shoots .5"-.75", like it did before, you'll know it isn't the rifle or optics. Then you can concentrate on your handloads. If all else fails; hunt with the factory ammo.

I found in mine it was sensitive to seating depth. Found accuracy at two different depths. Also look at H4831 SC.
I'm going to try adjusting seating depth next. I figured with facory shooting under 3/4 MOA I would stick with that, but it apparently isn't working for me. 4831 SC will be another option.

My dad's a gunsmith and installed the Barrel. It's a Hart Barrel I know it's capable of close to .5 MOA just because the factory ammo shot .55-.73 in groups. I was surprised my handloads have been as extreme as they are based on the factory ammo. I looked through it with a bore scope, and it looks good. But I will do some more checking on the barrel. Thanks

You know if you want to shoot this bullet and factory ammo is accurate. Maybe just buy a bunch of it and call it a day. You can spend a lot of components ie money and time and you may not find a load that shoots any better. If your determined to make it work. You need to find max length to lands and do seating depth ladder. However I doubt your turn 1.8" groups to 1/2".Which means you need to try a different powder.

I agree with others here that you can keep using the factory ammo as a control. Seems to work well in your rifle. However, I would quit trying to chase that load and develop a true hand load for your rifle. That's the point of hand loading, right?

I'm not a fan of crimping and seating in one step. I too run the Lee Factory Crimp on all my bottle neck cartridges with great success.

How are you sizing our brass? Full length or neck sizing? Do you trim your brass every time you load?

To me a chronograph coupled with a ladder test is THE easiest method for load development. I'd say fix your chronograph or buy another.

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts and responses. I think I finally figured out my problem. I think I very much have mental blocks that are issues. I think with Factory Ammo I wasn't super concerned how it shot as I was planning on reloading, so I shot without too much worry about groups and what not. When I start reloading I make stupid mental mistakes that affect my accuracy. Also after having shot a buddies rifle I realized I wasn't comfortable behind the gun. Lost weight since I set it up the gun and eye relief was affected and rifle wasn't positioned great in my shoulder. So I after getting my comb readjusted, some slightly taller bipods and working on my mental faculties everything came together. Shot probably one of my best groups ever. Now I am once again under moa and things are moving forward. Thanks for the help and I am glad I have this resource to bounce ideas and get me thinking and learning.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpeg
    IMG_4728.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4720.jpeg
    IMG_4720.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36