What came first: the chicken or the egg

5.56×250

Or, more to the point, what do you do first when starting a new load for a new rifle ? Do you run seating depths at a median charge weight or do you set the bullet .0XX off the lands and find your powder charge first. I dont have a chrono, so I can't hunt for a node . I'm shooting a 6.5 creed, 24" sendaro contour barrel, rem 700 action, h4350 and rl16, Berger vld 130s, cci br LR primers, if that matters. I know the vlds are a little unique on seating depth.

From the answers so far I'd say it doesn't really matter which comes first as long as you wind up with a herd of healthy chicken in the end. Or a tasty box of chicken, as the case may be.

Last edited:
Both the seating depth and powder quantity affect pressure, correct ? Seating depth from case volume and free bore, and powder quantity from, well, that's an obvious.
Just thinking out loud, I guess the powder quantity would make a bigger swing in pressure and seating depth would fine tune the pressure . Am I on the right page or do I have scrambled eggs ?

The chicken. Sorry know that's no help, but couldn't help myself

Nope.... the egg.

Dinosaurs were layin' eggs way before chickens rolled around. ;-)

So I guess keeping with this analogy, then powder is the most important, cuz muzzle loaders were using powder, way before there was a concern for seating depth?????

Sorry, that's probably too much of a stretch.

But seriously, I've always found powder charges first, then seating depth. I did it this way before I had the funds for a chrono and also now that I have one.

Before the chrono I found the node by shooting 200 yard ladders and looking for groupings, always had one or two groupings in a ladder test. Focused future loads towards the high side of the group with loads at 0.010". And then refined with seating depth.

Actually, the chicken. Believing, as you have inferred, chickens originated from dinosaurs. Then, you would first need the species to be available and viable, before it could reproduce. Therefore the species would have to mutate (evolve) into it's current form, before it could replicate, or reproduce.
But, I do agree with your other proposal. Charge, then depth.

Ha, didn't mean to infer chickens came from dinosaurs. I was thinking great big momma T-rex's laying eggs filled with little tiny cute T-rex's.

But I vaguely recall that chickens are related to Velociraptors. Though that feels like a fact from Jurassic Park, so not entirely sure it's believable.

Point of reference.......the ostrich, which would be our modern day equivalent to a velociraptor. I'm not aware of any ostrich eggs rising from dirt alone, like , say, an egg plant. That in no way means you couldn't make a fine meal from ostrich egg and egg plant. I just dont think you could enjoy such a meal if you didnt already have an ostrich to lay the star ingredient. So, yes, powder first o_O

What you have here is gods gift to gun calibers. It's so **** great no matter what powder, bullets, primers you use just slap that **** together and you will have five shot hole for hole at a thousand yards

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts