what caliber for long range (700) yards on deer size game

For inside that distance the 242 105 is **** near maxed out but would still be good if it shot good and you were proficient with it. The 25 creed with the 131's have been hammers for me, but I'd like to personally do a fast twist 270 wsm

Eleven years later is there any question on cartridge? 6.5 Creedmoor. Let the gnashing of teeth begin and bring out the popcorn!
Happy Toddlers And Tiaras GIF

Alot of manufacturers offer the 7mm mag, 300 mag and 300PRC. All qualify as excellent LR elk guns for sure. Anything under the size of an elk is no issue either. The PRC is set up to maximize case capacity with heavier bullets. Given today's bullets and in the event I hunted heavier game, the PRC would be my choice today if I didn't reload and still being I do, it's a great choice.

Well I am dead set on getting another tikka t3 currently own a .243 Must say I am very pleased. So the model of gun is not what is in question. I just wonder what is the best caliber for out to 700 yards? I want something that has good ballistics with factory loads! Thanks in advance Zach.
Any 30 caliber that will push 180 gr pill at least 2800 fps at the muzzle. So, 30-06 and up into the variety of magnum cartridges. Lots of options after 11 years and many of the best are more than 50 years old. Go figure

Well I am dead set on getting another tikka t3 currently own a .243 Must say I am very pleased. So the model of gun is not what is in question. I just wonder what is the best caliber for out to 700 yards? I want something that has good ballistics with factory loads! Thanks in advance Zach.
A .270 WSM, 1-10 Twist, Tikka T-3, can launch, a 140 gr. Berger Classic Hunter with, a 528 BC, close to 3,200 FPS,.. ACCURATELY ( 1/2 MOA approx. ) and it's STILL going over, 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
Managable Recoil with, NO freakin', Ear splitting', Brake at, 7 Pounds, 10 Oz's, "all up" and,.. YUP,.. I Love,.. Mine !
7 mm Rem Mag with 168's would be, another "good" choice but, with, a little more, Recoil !
AVOID, the .300 Mags UN-Less, wanting to add weight and,.. a Brake !
Can't believe that, I FELL for this, SAME, OLD "Chit",.. a 10 year old Post but, the .270's STILL beat, the Krap out of,.. a .308 win., past 500 yards !

Last edited: