what caliber for long range (700) yards on deer size game

zach5187

Well I am dead set on getting another tikka t3 currently own a .243 Must say I am very pleased. So the model of gun is not what is in question. I just wonder what is the best caliber for out to 700 yards? I want something that has good ballistics with factory loads! Thanks in advance Zach.

A 7mm rem mag or a 7mm stw will do nicely and ammo is readily available.

Both are good for 1000 yards but work best in the 6 to 800 yard range.

The next step up would be a 300 RUM if you wanted to go bigger but ammo is a little
pricey.

The 7 mm RUM Is a power house but ammo has been hard to find.

Also if you like short actions , the WSMs are a good choice,

In other words there are lots of good choices for your need.

J E CUSTOM

7mm Rem Ultra Mag if you handload. I love my rifle and will never part with it (with muzzle-brake). Accuracy seems to come easy to these huge cartridges, not sure why...

Well I am dead set on getting another tikka t3 currently own a .243 Must say I am very pleased. So the model of gun is not what is in question. I just wonder what is the best caliber for out to 700 yards? I want something that has good ballistics with factory loads! Thanks in advance Zach.

Shooting out to 700 yards on deer sized game with Tikka t3 when you already have a .243...

GO with a WSM, .300, 7MM or .270. My top choice would be the .270 WSM. It will shoot flat, hit hard (at those ranges), not destroy a lot of meat, and ammunition is readily available for a fair price. If you want to ad elk capability go with the .300 WSM.

If you were shopping used rifles I would give you a list of cartridges that would do OK, but as you are shopping for a new Tikka t3, go with the optimal load for what you are doing.

Don't go with a RUM or STW loading for those ranges on deer. They're a lot more cartridge than you need, with more recoil, more cost, and a lot more damage to the venison. Both 7MM Rem mag & .300 Win mag would work well, but the WSM cartridges are beltless and inherently accurate.

To 700 yards on deer Tikka chambers many excellent choices. I have t-3's in 300 wsm, 300 win mag and 338 win mag. I chose these for all around rifles that include elk hunting. You are not limited to cartridges this size just for deer. One of the lighter recoil standard cartridges in 6.5 would be nice. Typically the less recoil the more accurately a guy can shoot a light rifle without a brake. For just deer you can play the accuracy odds and not go up to the magnums. The 130 grain swift scirroco at .579 BC in 6.5 makes a great shooter in the non magnum 6.5's. It is the best hunting bullet I have used in 6.5mm.

I just looked at there offerings. Not much in 264 caliber but the 6.5x55 would do well with the 130 scirroco having little recoil and a good deer round. Considering out to 700 yards the 270 wsm or 300 wsm shooting 185 bergers at 3100 fps would be my choices. That is a load I shoot in my 300 wsm and I am very confident with it. Then if you want to hunt something bigger you have that capability. The 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag are good also you just don't need that much gun for what you are doing.

Last edited:
I would go with the 270 WSM for the ranges your talking, then look at HSM ammo, you can get the 130 or 150 Berger loaded in the LRH loads at a reasonable price.

I just so happened to stumble onto this discussion,why are you guys overlooking good old 308?
My tool of choice with hand loads pushing a 168 A-Max ,yes I said 168 A-max,antelope, deer and elk 700 yards is a sweet spot , always a clean kill.
You just need to know and understand the tool you are using.

Whew this thread stinks, coffin been closed a long time. Many new choices too since it died. But 308 still works. But for hunting I would say 700yd is not the sweet spot for the 308 velocity wise, more like the outer edge. Sweet spot for targets tho I'd agree.