What Barrel to Use

hntinfool

Hello everyone I'm new to this site, been reading for a while, but first time posting. I'm preparing to build a 300WM on a Borden Rimrock Action and ended up with two barrels to choose from, a Rock Creek and an Obermeyer, both #4 fluted, 1-11 twist.
Which would you choose and why.

Both probably have the chance to produce top notch accuracy. Hard to say if one is better than the other cuz they're both good companies. But if the Obermeyer barrel has the 5R rifling, like most of them do, I would use it over the RC simply because the 5R is so much easier to clean.

ended up with two barrels to choose from, a Rock Creek and an Obermeyer, both #4 fluted, 1-11 twist. Which would you choose and why.

Both probably have the chance to produce top notch accuracy. Hard to say if one is better than the other cuz they're both good companies. But if the Obermeyer barrel has the 5R rifling, like most of them do, I would use it over the RC simply because the 5R is so much easier to clean.

+1! However, IIWY, I'd go with 1:10" twist instead of the 1:11" twist to take advantage of the higher BCs of the heavier bullets, but that's just me. Barrel length 26-28".

Welcome to LRH and enjoy, good luck!

0.300" bore is standard for 308 cal., 0.298" bore will give a little less jacket stress to the bullet. But some folks like a little tighter bore. Heck, give the Obermeyer a shot. Pun kinda intended :) Obermeyer has been around a lot longer and he has tested his barrels to every end in competitions. Boots is an accomplished competition shooter and veteran as well. Obermeyer was actually the first to put 5R rifling on the market if I remember correctly. I know those barrels will shoot. But the RC is gonna shoot good too. In the end, it's really gonna boil down to how good you are at producing top notch hand loads.

Why those two anyhow? Why couldn't you say Douglas vs Krieger? Maybe Brux vs Lilja? That would have been a lot easier to answer...Krieger and Brux :)

I'm not sure which barrel to use but you should SPEED UP your twist. I'd run at least a 1-9.5 in a 5R. Incase you ever want to shoot the longer/heavier bullets you have the twist for it.
I have a 1-9 on my 300WM in a 5R and I would not change anything.
Just remember: YOU CAN"T OVER-STABILIZE A BULLET!!gun)lightbulb

I'm sorry. I said that a .298" bore would induce LESS jacket stress. That was wrong because a .300" bore is actually bigger making the grooves shorter to induce less stress. The larger .010" grooves of the .298" Obermeyer bore might dig into the jacket a bit deeper, but it will probably end up giving you a little more barrel life too.

I don't know that the .298" bore would increase barrel life, but it would increase pressures, no doubt. I'd stick with the std. .300" bore with a 10 twist if it was me, but use the 11 twist if you have to. I'd tend to think the 10 twist would give you more options for a .300 Win. Mag. The Obermeyer .298" was developed mostly for the Palma shooters. I don't believe I'd stick a factory loaded .300 Win Mag in a chamber where the bore is .002" smaller in diameter than std.

faq

Bullets are driven by the lands. Through many years of experience, I have found that a greater
depth between the lands and the grooves means the resulting barrel will last much longer at a high
level of performance.

It should also be noted that pressure does not jump simply because the land diameter is tighter; it is the cross-
section area of the entire bore that counts. My 5R system often results in a larger cross-section
area than many shallow-rifled, wide-land conventional barrels.

I went with 1-11 twist based on a recommendation from Mike Rock, the heaviest bullet I will be using is 180gr. I put together another rifle for a friend and it seems to stabilize 180s no problem, out to 1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.