What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

I'm in Kuwait right now but if I get a chance to hunt this season I'll be taking what I have that can kill an elk. I'll be taking either a Martin compound which I can make a good shot with out to 50 yards or so or my Marlin .45-70 with some 430gr cast loads that I made. Not long range but after seeing the damage on a deer I'm confident it will blow through an elk and not go far if I do my part which I always train to do. I'd like to build a 338 WM or 300 WM on a savage action but I need to build my .243 Pronghorn/Deer gun first.

fmajor,

The 7MM Rem Mag was designed to be a long range elk rifle. It will kill the biggest elk on Earth. But so will a lot of other cartridges.

Hunter tend to focus on cartridges, and give short shrift to what really matters: putting bullets where they need to go. A .30-30 Win will kill elk just as dead as any mega magnum if a hunter puts his bullet where it needs to go.

In ALL matters of that which is living, biological science is controlling, not cartridges. Put any bullet through any animal's blood pumping apparatus, and it will die. Nothing living remains in that condition without oxygenated blood to its brain, not even elk.

So far, I haven't been drawn for anything. I might just spend hunting season in Central America hunting huge tuna. If I were drawn, I'd go with a .270 Win. The last elk I killed was with my 7MM Rem Mag. But carrying heavy guns up and down high ridges of the Rockies gets old after about 10 minutes. I'd much rather carry a light rifle. However, the 7MM Rem Mag is a elk cartridge extraordinaire. Dead is dead, and the 7MM Rem Mag will assuredly reduce any elk to that condition/

I'm good with any cartridge a hunter wants to carry. After all, he's doing the hunting. He ought to know what's right for him. However, he'll get me looking askance at him when he tries to tell me that his .338 Rem Ultra Mag will kill deader than a .308 Win. It won't, provided bullets from either destroy topside blood pumping equipment. Animals live but seconds when their brains are denied oxygenated blood.

BTW, just some helpful advice: go with Partitions.

270 win with 140 grain accubonds (Assuming I get the load worked up) and back up will be a 30-06 shooting 180 grain something bonded.

I will be taking my 9.5# R700 7RM for a carry rifle, and an R700 .300RUM 13# for a long range glass em' and shoot em' rifle.

7RM shooting either 168 Barnes LRX for shots under 500, and the 180 Berger Hybrid for shots from 500-800.

.300RUM shooting 215 Hybrids at any reasonable distance.

The wife will be have a 7x57AI with 150 Nosler Partitions. I will be carrying a 30-06 loaded with 165 Nosler Accubonds. The backup for both of us will be a 30-06. It will be our 1st ever elk hunt. I hope Montana has a lot of elk!!!!

The wife will have a 7x57AI with 150 Nosler Partitions. I will be carrying a 30-06 loaded with 165 Nosler Accubonds. The backup for both of us will be a 30-06. It will be our 1st ever elk hunt. I hope Montana has a lot of elk!!!!

The wife will have a 7x57AI with 150 Nosler Partitions. I will be carrying a 30-06 loaded with 165 Nosler Accubonds. The backup for both of us will be a 30-06. It will be our 1st ever elk hunt. I hope Montana has a lot of elk!!!!

Congratulations on marrying well!!!! Color me jealous....

That sounds like some solid elk medicine.

I need to re-tally the cartridges and update the totals - there have been so many replies here.

Hunting CO 2nd rifle season, 10 days of Elk chasing :D
Primary rifle will be Winchester Extreme Weather 300 wsm with 4-16X50 vortex viper HSLR with 175 grain Barnes LRX and back up is Remington Model 742 3006 with 168 gr TTSX (this was my father's rifle and he passed last November, I may even pull it out first a couple days in memory of him)

This year will be a little different. 338 RUM with 285 ELD match. backup will be the trusty 300 win mag with 215 bergers.
The similarities are almost weird. I've got exactly the same as this except still shooting the 300 grain EH out of my 338 RUM. 215 Berger shoots amazing out of my 300 win mag.

Following up on my earlier post on this thread: two home-built 280 Ackleys on Savage and Stevens actions, PacNor barrels, Boyds stocks, JP brakes. One throws 168 Bergers @ 3015fps, the other 180 Bergers @ 2875fps.

Attachments

• Gen2completion 028.JPG
    Gen2completion 028.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Gen2completion 027.JPG
    Gen2completion 027.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Gen2completion 036.JPG
    Gen2completion 036.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 85
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.