What are rifle (s) are you taking to elk hunt this year?

Some years ago, I watched a studly, well put-up dude in his mid-30's (guesstimated) trying to sight in his brand new .300 Win Mag for a then upcoming Montana hunt. He couldn't finish a box of cartridges. His shoulder was too sore. He had a solid 6" group, high left. Before he left the range that day, he reflected upon his choice of rifle. He told me that he was probably going to use his uncle's .25-'06 Rem. In contrast, I had 3 .308 Win rounds touching each other about an inch-and-a-half high and dead on, which didn't sit too well with the Utah buck I killed.

Buying big guns is easy, no so much shooting them. I've fired a few big guns. My recoil threshold is the 7MM Rem Mag. From my experience. there are not a lot of hunters that can comfortably shoot big guns.

A couple years ago while rut hunting HUGE bulls in what many refer to as the best trophy bull elk unit in the nation, a hunter in camp was using a .300 Mag. He missed two very easy shots at a HUGE bull. He missed the same bull twice. He finally killed one that scored a couple points shy of 380. Out of his hunter presence, his guide said that he'd much rather have a hunter show up in camp with a .270 Win he can shoot than a .300 Mag he can't.

I fired one 7MM Rem Mag round, a hand loaded 160 grain Partition. It felled a bull of a lifetime.

Killing is all about confidence with one's rifle. Confidence is gained by a lot of shooting. Big guns make it unpleasant to do a lot of shooting.

Nothing living remains in that condition sans its heart and/or lungs. All that lives requires topside oxygenated blood to remain living. Destroy a big game animal's heart and/or lungs and it will die. That is elementary biological fact. What destroy these vital organs is immaterial. That they are destroyed is.

Hunters ought to hunt with what puts smiles on their faces. However, they will get a quizzical look on my face when they tell me that a .300 RUM will kill elk deader than a .308 Win. It won't. A .30-30 Win will kill that largest bull that has ever lived just as dead as a .378 Wby Mag. It's all about what bullets destroy, and that takes skill and confidence. The new B&C record Yukon moose was recently reduced to table fare with a .303 British.

One final point. Big guns are by necessity heavy. Carrying heavy guns up & down the Rockies is no fun. As for me, from here on out, I'm hunting everything with a .270 Win.

That old hunter's saying has always been true: a .243 Win in the boiler room is a whole lot better than an '06 in the guts.

I encourage every hunter to use what makes him happy. But big guns guarantee nothing but a whole lot of recoil.

Happy Thanksgiving to all brethren of the hunt!

Used a 280AI pushing the 145LRX to take a 5x4. Buddy with me borrow my 7-08 shooting the same bullet which I would have borrowed back for a shot if needed.

Browning 1885 28" barrel 7mm rem mag 3.5x10x50 Nikon monarch [long range]
Rossi 1892 16" 44 mag open sights [brush/ short range]

Grew up in the mountains of Mt.Been knocking elk over for 40+,hung my 7rm up 25 yrs ago because i was pushing it beyond its intended limits for elk.Went to a 340wby knock down was a noticable difference,and my range was extended.Energy numbers dont lie.Shot on the local rifle team,shooting is a big pastime out here with over ten gun manufactures in valley.Most my close hunting friends have 40-70 elk under there belts.One has called in 75 bulls to the bow.We that shoot long are using a 338 as a majority.I have shot elk across canyon in picture.My son started shooting 340 when he was 14,took this bear with it this year.Hes a triple expert in the Marines no problem with a mag feels like the 223 are toys and have terrible wind drift because hes use to shooting 338,s He and his buddies have taken game with my 338 NM also at fair distance

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1042.jpg
    IMG_1042.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 108
A .30-30 Win will kill that largest bull that has ever lived just as dead as a .378 Wby Mag.

Lets make that comparison at 700 yards with a 10 MPH gusting crosswind and see how you feel. I understand your argument, but I don't agree. This is a forum that specializes in the conversation of Long Range Hunting. Some might consider 200-300 yards long range and In this case I'd say your points are more valid. That 30/30 will work, but when you throw out a blanket statement like yours to the guy capable of tipping over a record book moose at 1200 yards, your argument crumbles to pieces.

Guys here regularly prove the increased effectiveness of larger caliber rifles firing heavy high BC bullets. If you don't like the recoil, do like most of the guys here and get a muzzle brake.

SanSouci. Your 26 Nov post was on the money! Thanks for saying what needed to be said...

Not on the money at all concerning caliber choice. Elk are sturdy animals and if you intend to kill them at extended ranges go to the field with enough rifle and put a muzzle brake on it. Recoil should not even be considered as an issue.

I killed my bull this year at 1098 yards... with the 7 rem mag.
Even at long distance they have to be hit in the boiler room. The 7 mag shooting 180 gr Berger VLD's is pretty hard to beat without stepping up to a .338.

I shot big .300's for many years, but got tired of brakes. They are elk killing machines, no doubt, but so is the 7mm- without as much drama.

After 30 plus years of guiding and outfitting I have not seen anything to change my opinion that I would much rather see a guy show up with the .270 he can shoot, than a cannon he can't.

When it comes to long range I expect a man to have gained enough experience to know what he and his cartridge can do. Restraint is integral to being a long range hunter.

As to the argument about the 30-30 vs about anything else, I think it can go without saying it is not a long range round, not even a medium range round, but it is capable of killing any elk that ever walked, within 2 or 300 yards.

My $.02

debating on taking one of the following rifles for my first ever DIY elk hunt

1. Browning BAR safari 300 win mag with BOSS topped with a Leupold vari-x III 4x10X40 with 180gr nosler accubonds.
2. Ruger American 7mm-08 that I still havnt chosen a scope for.

The browning obviously wins in the kinetic energy department, however, its a very nice rifle and I would hate to destroy it on an elk hunt. The ruger is light, compact, wouldnt matter if it got a scratch or two.

This will be my first year elk hunting! I'm so excited! Anyway, I'm gonna take my browning bar 300 win. Using barnes 180 ttsx. I just bought a new browning bar 7mm WSM with a boss system. Thinking about using for backup. Any ideas for a budget scope and premium elk ammo would be nice. Thanks!

I will be packing in RBros 7mm rem mag but If I'm lucky to get it build this year an Rbros 338 RUM for reaching out and touching an elk at longer distance

The last two seasons (2014 / 2015) and four elk I've taken my Rifles Inc Lightweight Strata 300 Win Mag. Like COBrad said a few posts back they are elk killing machines but they (especially ultra lightweight rifles like mine) come with a lot of drama. I shoot mine well but frankly 40-45 rounds at the range and I've had enough for the day even with a shoulder pad.

For 2016 I'm having a custom built Proof Research Terminus built in 7mm Rem Mag that is two pounds heavier with a better brake and an option to add my .30 Thunder Beast suppressor. My plan is to load up some of the new 175gr ELD-Xs for elk or fall back on VLD Hunting bullets. After nearly an entire winter of research it looks like (at least on paper) that a 7mm ELD-X or VLDH will deliver the same KE at least 250 yards farther than the 180gr Barnes TTSX I've been shooting from my 300 win mag. "At least on paper" it looks that way.

I'm hoping and praying for at least a 30-40% reduction in felt recoil due to added weight, better brake and whatever love the 7mm loads can give me which will be a bit less punishing for the range practice I plan to get in.

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

~Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.