What about .270 Winchester?

I forgot that he had another thread. The easy button is to get a 270 Win and just shoot Core Locks or some other exposed lead soft point. With an 18" barrel his velocity should be lower and exposed lead bullets shouldn't be explosive at shorter ranges. Heck some cheap PPU 150 gr soft points would be fine for whitetails. Last time I looked they weren't armor plated.
I haven't decided. Too many options out there. I don't want to rush to a decision and regret it. I do have a few rifles I will be listing for sale to make some room for an addition.

I posted earlier in this thread that my dad had passed on his Pre 64 70 feather weight to me. The other day in a local gun store I found a standard m 70 pre 64 270 in near mint condition, for a great price. I bought it as I now with my dads rifle have a permanent 270 in the arsenal. When I was a kid Jack O Conner "if that is how you spell it" had/put out more hype about the 270 win. Than hornady promoting there latest offering. Of course his was based on real/practical experience. Of course Elmer Kieth touted the 270 as an excellent varmint/coyote and maybe antelope if you didn't push the distance. Does that sound familiar to what you read on this forum, Somethings never change. But I miss the good old days or are the good old days now?

I haven't decided. Too many options out there. I don't want to rush to a decision and regret it. I do have a few rifles I will be listing for sale to make some room for an addition.
I just ordered a 20" upper for my DPMS.i compared several bullets fired from it (16" barrel) to my Savage model 10, 308. Every round was 200 fps slower on the chrono with the 26" barrel. Using the chrono surprised me about the reloading Data too. It was spot on.

If you're going to wait for factory 270 fast twist ,forget it . Think outside bun LOL. How long has the great 270 lasted from 1925 , it's down loaded to benefit factory ballistic charts and make other favorites look better . All's fare in advertising hype another LOL. Yes I'll Champion the great 270 Winchester,but I like all 270's , pretty sure the factory loaded the first 270's to 3160 fps let's keep this 270 thread on the Train Tracks shall we . 😯🧐😉😆
Look at Browning's web site I believe they have two models in a fast twist 270 win.

That's when reloading comes in. I always have a small backup supply, I can make. The 270 or 6.8 is same bullet. The 6.8 is like its little brother.. both are great on hogs. Except the 270 makes a big hole in and a bigger hole out.
I agree, the 270 up until they are even hits harder especially from the muzzle to about 200y but the 6.5C is hitting hard enough for deer. Mostly was taking a bit of issue with your point that when the 6.5C and 270 are about equal that "it is at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game". The numbers at 700y are good enough for any game of the mule deer class or smaller. BTW the flatter claim is irrelevant because even with a 200 yard zero you will still have to range find and know your hold overs for either cartridge when you get out to 200/250 yards, that is unless your eyeball is super calibrated to call yardage in 10y increments out to 450 yards. Remember you said when they are equal it was at a range they were no good anymore. A magnum is no good till you can demonstrate the ability to make cold bore first shot hits on a 5 inch circle from any field shooting position in the wind every time at the ranges you plan to reach out to.
Well spoken

Long live the king. That's how I feel about the .270 haha. It just works. Far more interesting to me than the .30-06 and just as emphatic a killer. If the 270 isn't enough gun for something neither is the .30-06…THERE I SAID IT 🤣 When both are loaded
To potential the 270 even with its 10 twist STOMPS the 6.5 creedmoor, and by the time those high bc 6.5 pills catch up let alone exceed the power of the 270 it's at a range where neither cartridge is a good choice for big game. It's embarrassing for the 7 rem mag how close the boring old .270 gets to it from a shorter barrel. Anything the .25-06 does the 270 does better (THERE I SAID IT! 🤣 - both are totally ridiculous for dedicated varmint or predator rounds and in my mind the .25-06 is forever the .25-almost Almost as in close to the .257 wby but not there yet haha. I know the same Is true about the 270 win and 270 wby but for some reason I don't care and that's mine to confess, I'm irrational!

I'm biased. It was my first rifle that was truly mine. And it performs so darn good. I often say it's a cartridge that doesn't know it's not a magnum.
Amen brother the 270 Winchester is my all around favorite. I have 90 gn reloads for varmits and 130 for deer. If I need something heavier I use the 7 mag.

Amen brother the 270 Winchester is my all around favorite. I have 90 gn reloads for varmits and 130 for deer. If I need something heavier I use the 7 mag.
My longest confirmed kill on a whitetail was 455 yards. I of course use the "Rifleman's rifle " Winchester 70 with CRF. I've used this cartridge for 40 plus years and why fix it if it's not broken? A little custom reloading gives it better results. My personal favorite is the Scirocco 130's when I can get them and Hornady 130 SST which are more available to me. It's far more capable than my advanced age eyes.

Attachments

• A1DF64E3-B8FB-4408-9A0C-272B499FC4F7.jpeg
    A1DF64E3-B8FB-4408-9A0C-272B499FC4F7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I did a quick Gunbroker search and seen a couple of the Sauer 100 and Mauser M18 rifles in .270. For some reason those are interesting to me. I read about people finding amazing deals on them. I seen no amazing deals.

I think for an old dog like a .270 it needs to be deep blueing and a walnut or laminated stock. I know I'm a traditionalist.
Winchester Model 70 is hard to beat. I like the Classic version with control round feed. You don't need to spend a lot for pre-64 versions since modern cnc machining reduces labor costs and provides safer gas venting for a pierced primer. I have a classic wood and blued version made in New Haven but they still make them in Portugal.

Attachments

• 429C6AC7-B577-48A6-9649-F35F8930D9DD.jpeg
    429C6AC7-B577-48A6-9649-F35F8930D9DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21