What about .270 Winchester?

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
Have a Rem 721 bought used in 1973 or 1974. .270 Win, shoots ragged 5 shot, 1 hole groups all day at 100 and 200 yds. Cost $50. I like it just fine.
Mike

So I have been thinking about adding a .270 Win to the safe. The reason being during the ammo shortage you could ALWAYS find it on the shelf locally. I mean everyone had it and lots of it. When .308, 30-06, and 300 Win Mag were all gone there were boxes off .270 everywhere.

So what is everyone's opinion on the old .270? I'll be looking for a moderately priced hunting type rifle. What barrel length, twist, and all of that? Any certain make or model you recommend in the $1000 or less price range?

Also, I'll add- the ability to purchase factory ammo now has way more influence on me than ever before. I have tons of bullets, brass, and powder. The problem is that primers are tough to find and expensive!
If you are strictly basing the decision on primer costs and availability, you can buy 8k primers for the cost of that $1k factory rifle.
Primers are popping up quite often now. I have ordered 9k within the last week alone. 3k Fed GM215M, 1k CCI BR4, 5k CCI 250. There are still CCI 250s in stock. Making a .264WM, 7RM or .300WM, 300PRC a viable choice. Along with numerous others. Rem 9 1/2 and Win LR have been available too.

If you want a rifle you can handload for cheaper and easier look at a SRP cased cartridge.
Right now, there are Fed GM205M and CCI BR4 at several retailers.

But, a .270 Win is still a great alternative if you want to shoot factory ammo. Handloading for it will still present the same issues as above.

Yup.... what you said, only if I were buying a .270 Winchester and wanted a little more horsepower I wouldn't hesitate to take a strong look at the .270WSM as a second choice. I believe that the .270WSM has been around long enough that it is not going to follow along in the footsteps of the obsolescent group.
All this talk about .270 Win, and I just committed to buying a .270 WSM. I found it last night and agreed to buy it this morning.

I lucked-up buying a Model 70 from the owner (who took it back from his son who owed him money) after having less than 2 boxes of rounds through it. The rifle IS a shooter. I've won several bets with it on medium-range targets between 300 - 750 yards. I have never regretted buying this laser. The factory rifle loves Hornady 130 grain ammo.

I too have an over-fondness for the 270 that at times borders on irrational though that angle has mostly already been covered previously in this thread.

I have a strong preference towards a 22" bbl. You can get 140's over 3K from a 22" tube and 130's near or at 3100. I find the 22" to just be "handier" and I get plenty out of it.

Ramshot Hunter is my preferred powder. It's reasonably inexpensive and is one of the last to be unavailable during a shortage and also one of the 1st to come back. Hunter runs slick through a Dillon powder measure. I get my brass prep done single-stage, then prime/charge/seat on a Dillon 550 in very short order.

I load Barnes 130TTSX or 140 TSX. The TSX/Hunter combo works well for me in several Win M70's, a buddy's M70 Extreme Weather, another buddy's Rem 700 Gen 1 Ti, and a 3rd's NULA.

If I were buying a new rifle in 270Win right now, I'd probably try to find a Sako S20 closeout, they should come in at or very close to your $1K budget. I just looked, Eurooptic has them for $1199 right now.

Last edited:
All this talk about .270 Win, and I just committed to buying a .270 WSM. I found it last night and agreed to buy it this morning.
Congratulations on finding a rifle that you like. They are good shooters, I don't think this cartridge is going on the obsolete list in the too near future. If you are a reloader and were looking for a wildcat cartridge I would recommend the .270 Ackley Improved. The Ackley has a little more horsepower, I start out using load data for the .270WSM and move up from there. If you were going to build a rifle for long distance shooting I would recommend the .270WSM only put a 1:8 twist barrel to shoot the heavies with. Good luck with your new rifle you will like the cartridge. I have a friend who recently went on a mule deer hunt in Wyoming (?) where he took a very nice buck at 484 yards, factory ammunition. He said the buck was laying down, when he shot the buck never moved, so.... he shot it a second time only to find that the first shot anchored the animal.

My Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win, likes H 4831, in matched Light Winchester cases,( EX: 185.0 to 185.4 grns ) or (185.5 to 185.9 grns ) with Win LR Primers. My showoff load is 59.2 grns with a Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic Tips at about 3000/3050 fps from the 24 inch BBl. My Deer load in that rifle happens to be 59.5 grns of H 4831 with the 130 grn Nosler Ballistic Tips in matched Light Win cases, with Win LR Primers. About 3050 /3100 fps . This is not a suggestion that you use my personal 270 Win Load, load in your rifle. All deer taken at close range so far, 90 yards to 123 yards. 9 deer in about 14 years , some deer fell down dead, DRT , 3 ran less that 20 yards and just fell over stone dead. Only one second shot needed, because like a rookie, (Spell that IDOIT ,) I only waited 5 min and then ran from the blind to see the buck I had just shot laying there . It got up and ran and then laid down about 30 yards away and I had to shoot again. The .270 Win, in a light ,accurate Bolt action rifle , with a 24 inch barrel, with a 130 grn bullet started at 3000/3100 FPS is a fantastic deer killing machine, at sensible ranges. I do not overuse this rifle. It is NOT the 1000 yard Wild Sheep Rifle, Also if the game should become ELK, Bear, Moose , then I would choose my .300 Weatherby Mag , for those larger animals. IMHO

I too have an over-fondness for the 270 that at times borders on irrational though that angle has mostly already been covered previously in this thread.

I have a strong preference towards a 22" bbl. You can get 140's over 3K from a 22" tube and 130's near or at 3100. I find the 22" to just be "handier" and I get plenty out of it.

Ramshot Hunter is my preferred powder. It's reasonably inexpensive and is one of the last to be unavailable during a shortage and also one of the 1st to come back. Hunter runs slick through a Dillon powder measure. I get my brass prep done single-stage, then prime/charge/seat on a Dillon 550 in very short order.

I load Barnes 130TTSX or 140 TSX. The TSX/Hunter combo works well for me in several Win M70's, a buddy's M70 Extreme Weather, another buddy's Rem 700 Gen 1 Ti, and a 3rd's NULA.

If I were buying a new rifle in 270Win right now, I'd probably try to find a Sako S20 closeout, they should come in at or very close to your $1K budget. I just looked, Eurooptic has them for $1199 right now.
What's your load for 130 in the Win M70

Those are extremely northern whitetails! I bet they even have an accent!
No no no it's just east coast deer that talk funny. Western Canada and the American Midwest speak proper English, everyone else sounds weird, especially the British! 🤣

Just messin, nobody hears their own accent haha but I will say, in my travels there's not a nickels worth of difference between how people from Saskatchewan/Alberta and the "Midwest" states talk haha.

The stereotypical "Canadian accent" you'd hear exaggerated for comedic effect on tv or a movie is something I've only ever heard in real life in people from the greater Toronto area and then the east coast.

Having been a 270 Win shorter for almost 40 years I have taken everything from PD to elk and moose. My rifle loves pretty much anything I feed it. Speer, Hornady or Barnes. 130, 140 or 150 grain pills. Hunting season is usually 2 shots. 1 to confirm zero and one to put meat on the table.
I pretty much prefer the Barnes 140 gr TSX but am well stocked with Hornady 130 interlocks and some 110 grains as well.
Of course it has its limits so I stay within it 😋

Working on a 270 WSM now 😃 shooting it will probably begin end of May🎉

For fun I also have a 30-30, '06 and a 300 WM.

Recent Posts